My 2 month old kitten is having green liquid poop with slight red traces

ushma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 month old kitten is having green liquid poop with slight red traces My vet suggested Ciploz TZ for 3 days which didn't worked we switched then to ofloxacin metronidazole syrup its been 4 weeks and there is no improvement. I'm giving them electrol solution 10-20 ml in a day along with the medicine. As its been 4 weeks i can't make her starve for such a long period so i give her 1/4 boil egg. Also we are vegetarian so chicken n all is not something. I'm able to feed her. Can someone help ?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. I am sorry that you are facing this issue with your kitten and it is serious. She is way too young to be fighting this and you probably need to consult another vet, preferably not one in the same practice. As I am reading this, the green liquid and what is probably traces of blood has not subsided in all this time and you first saw this issue when she was only one month old?

As an aside, cats are obligate carnivores and cannot be vegetarian or vegan. PETA will tell you that they can, but they are wrong in that respect. I am a vegan and all of my animals eat standard cat and dog food. I do not mean to at all offend you if this is part of your religious or cultural belief.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
From what you posted it sounds like you may be feeding your kitten a vegetarian diet. As fionasmom fionasmom said, cats are obligate carnivores. That means they MUST eat meat. Their bodies can't process vegetable protein. If she isn't getting any meat that could very well be the cause of the diarrhea.

I don't mean to be harsh, but cats can actually starve to death on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
The egg will help some, but still doesn't give her the complete nutrition she needs.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for your baby. I hope you can find the cause of her issues quickly and help her get well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get goats milk? Goats milk, and especielly raw goats milk, is good, soothening some intestinal conditions, and good nourishment by itself.
Not enough for an adult cat, but a good base.

And I hope its OK for a vegan purist too... You accept some eggs, so I do hope you accept goats milk too
If you cant get goats milk, so youghurt may be an useful alternative; its both a probioticum and gives some nourishment.

Hey, you can give some youghurt even if you DO have access to goats milk. As said, its a nice probioticum.

Ps. My wife is a vegan too. But she doesnt hesitate to prepare meat and other animal food for out cats. They need it, so she does so.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Canned wet chicken cat food would help; also boiled chicken and rice with no spices, just salt. Plenty of fresh water.

Green diarrhea indicates bacterial infection. You’ll need to see a vet for medication:

http://kittencoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/NKC-Fast-Facts_Poop-Chart_5-2017.pdf

Also:

Intestinal Virus Due to Bacterial Overgrowth (Astrovirus) in Cats | PetMD

This is serious and may not resolve without vet care. Please see a vet. Your kitten may not survive otherwise.

U ushma