My 11 Month Old Cat Boo With Nystagmus Is Pregnant

Sara41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
**** I KNOW I NEED TO TAKE BOO TO THE VET AS I WILL ASAP ****
Her mother Little Kitten had 2 litters. Little kitten was only 10 months the first time. The first litter born July 9th she had 5 kittens 1 died about a day or two after birth. Whenever those kittens were ab 4 weeks I noticed one was falling over. Then 1 by one the other 2 started to fall over & wiggle & shake, all of them but Boo. Except Boos eyes shake & still do 11 months later. it is nystagmus .. It was cerebellar hypoplasia or CH in the other 3 (it is not supposed to get worse or get better they say but somehow the kittens could walk for about a week & then the CH developed ) I do not know why this happened. Then about 6 months later Boos mother little kitten got pregnant again & gave birth march 8th 3 months after her 1st birthday. This time all of the kittens were fine. So I'm thinking little kitten was impregnated by an infected cat the first litter ... I planned to get Boo and her mother fixed because we kept another kitten from little kittens 2nd litter & is a boy. & little kitten likes to go outside. Then I noticed that Boo is pregnant I know this because her stomach is bulged & her nipples are bigger. I do not want to take her to get fixed anymore because I think that would be a horrible thing to do . Also she is showing so the kittens must be pretty developed. She also escaped from the house ONE day so I'm almost 100% sure she is pregnant. I know boo should not go outside with nystagmus, but she busted out the screen of the window. Boo is 11 months old as she turns 1 in July. My questions are will boos kittens have CH , like the litter she came from? Because she came from a litter like that? Or because her mother was young? & boo is the same age her mother was whenver she birthed the CH kittens. Or will they have nystagmus because boo does? Or will they develope a different problem because their mother has nystagmus. I'm very scared they will be born with CH & it is a very sad thing to watch a kitten go through. They fall on their little nose over & over it is seriously so heart breaking. I'm worried something will be wrong with boos kittens. Boo mostly eats bugs & stares at a wall all day long.. she's pretty strange some times she even still drinks her mother milk also she's still pretty small. Im just very worried something will be wrong with these kittens. Wondering if getting boo fixed would be the best option. I know a vets opinion would be a better one. Maybe a vet may be on this site. Will get boo to the vet asap as for now ...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do get your cats to a vet.

I don't know that it's wise to allow this pregnancy to continue. Hopefully others will weigh in.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm more worried that she won't be able to care for her kittens and you'll have to handraise them :/. If the CH isn't genetic but was caused by an STD her kittens probably won't be affected. Anyway, yeah, talk to the vet and try to work out what would be best for everyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sara41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm more worried that she won't be able to care for her kittens and you'll have to handraise them :/. If the CH isn't genetic but was caused by an STD her kittens probably won't be affected. Anyway, yeah, talk to the vet and try to work out what would be best for everyone.
I was worried about that also willowy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please get all of your cats and kittens spayed so you no longer have to deal with these issues, and all pregnancies in general.

Kittens should be spayed before they are 4 months old.

Sara41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please get all of your cats and kittens spayed so you no longer have to deal with these issues, and all pregnancies in general.

Kittens should be spayed before they are 4 months old.
I should get my pregnant cat spayed? I'm not sure whether that would be the right thing to do. The others are due to get spayed Monday & Wednesday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I seriously recommend getting Boo spayed right away. She absolutely is not capable of being a mother. There is also a risk that she may die delivering kittens as she does not sound healthy enough.

I think it would be cruel to continue her pregnancy.

Does she eat wet or dry cat food?

Sara41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I seriously recommend getting Boo spayed right away. She absolutely is not capable of being a mother. There is also a risk that she may die delivering kittens as she does not sound healthy enough.

I think it would be cruel to continue her pregnancy.

Does she eat wet or dry cat food?
Boo eats wet and dry. There is always a bowl of dry. But they do cry for wet about twice a day. I noticed before boo hardly ate now she finishes her food. Thank u so very much for ur input. I felt aborting the kittens would be the best option as I also feel boo is not capable & worried she may not make it through labor & delivery . but if felt there was a chance I would love for them to be able to take that chance. I'm going to call for an appointment first thing in the morning. I just noticed she was pregnant about 3 days ago

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good she eats cat food. I think spaying is the right decision!

Please let us know how things go!