My 10 year old cat is taking antibiotics and throwing up

Corkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, this is my first post on this forum and was looking to gain some insight on my cat’s health. I took him to the vet last week to get vaccinated and for a checkup because he threw up on 2 separate days and was acting sick sometimes and then acting normal. On the day of his vet appointment, he had diarrhea and had gone outside of his litter box. The doctor told me something about his enzymes level through the blood analysis which may indicate issues with his pancreas and he told me just to monitor him. The doctor said stress could cause pancreatic issues and we had just brought another cat into our home, so that may be a cause for his stress? I was prescribed with Metronidazole for his diarrhea and ever since my cat has started his medication, he has hardly been eating or drinking water and is still acting sick on and off. As of yesterday, he also still seems to have diarrhea. He’s also been throwing up liquid and liquid with some food in it as well for the last 3 or so days. I’m thinking it may be a side effect of metronidazole and am planning on calling the vet tomorrow when it opens. Has anyone had a similar experience with Metronidazole? What should I do in this situation?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I can't help with the metro but are you helping him with the stress? Try Cat Music and over-the-counter calming products. Are the cats getting along?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Metro can cause those side effects but what concerns me is that your cat had some of these issues before. Definitely get back to the vet on this. There are specific tests for pancreatitis which are not included in regular blood tests.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Corkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
I can't help with the metro but are you helping him with the stress? Try Cat Music and over-the-counter calming products. Are the cats getting along?
Hello I haven’t tried any stress relief methods yet but I’ll definitely try the cat music and calming products. Thank you for the suggestions! The other cats weren’t getting along with the new one until about a week later, but now we let the new cat out with my other cats and they seem to be getting along better than they were at first. My cat that’s sick wasn’t able to get close to the new cat but for the last couple weeks they’ve been able to stare at each other from afar without trying to attack but they still hiss at each other and I just end up separating them again.

Corkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He will ask questions Like what time of day does she throw ? Take a pic of her diaheria. After eating,her tummy does not fully digest 8-10 hrs later.
Oh okay I’ll definitely give the vet a call tomorrow. Thank you for the feedback! I took some photos of his vomit but I’ll try and get some photos of his poop when he uses the litterbox

Corkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Metro can cause those side effects but what concerns me is that your cat had some of these issues before. Definitely get back to the vet on this. There are specific tests for pancreatitis which are not included in regular blood tests.
Yeah that definitely is concerning. About a week before his vet appointment he had a hairball in his vomit but I ordered some laxatone from amazon that the vet recommended. After I call tomorrow I think I’m going to schedule an appointment with a different vet because they did forget to examine his mouth and other things during his wellness check. Thank you for your feedback!

Corkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Singing to my cat peaches calms her. I live by myself so no one else hears me! At least,I don't think so.:)
Awww that’s adorable!! :) I sing at the top of my lungs sometimes and all my babies come out to greet me so I’ll definitely try and do this more often!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that definitely is concerning. About a week before his vet appointment he had a hairball in his vomit but I ordered some laxatone from amazon that the vet recommended. After I call tomorrow I think I’m going to schedule an appointment with a different vet because they did forget to examine his mouth and other things during his wellness check. Thank you for your feedback!
Good idea. I went to 3 vets til I found the right one. She had symptoms that something was wrong but first vet would not do a urinalysis. Second vet did and she had struitive crystals and possible pancreatitis. I did not like him as a vet. 3rd I did.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww that’s adorable!! :) I sing at the top of my lungs sometimes and all my babies come out to greet me so I’ll definitely try and do this more often!
She likes hungry like a wolf and the reflex.its pinned on my fb page. She does not like George Michael!

There is a poop chart(not for George michael) you can google online that shows why it's important

Corkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She likes hungry like a wolf and the reflex.its pinned on my fb page. She does not like George Michael!

There is a poop chart(not for George michael) you can google online that shows why it's important
He still has diarrhea but it doesn’t look as runny as it was at first. I looked up the poop chart (not for George Michael)and it was really helpful! :lol: I think the cat music has definitely been helping so thank you so much for the suggestion!! I sang Whitney Houston’s I Have Nothing at the top of my lungs and he came out to greet me last night. It’s nice to see that my baby is a fan of my terrible singing lol!

He seems much more relaxed and when I yell the sacred phrase “Come here babies” (code for wet food time), he actually comes! He hasn’t eaten much of it lately, but 2days ago he did actually have some. He’s lost a bit of weight and it worries me but he finally finished his course of Metro and has been eating some more treats and drinking a little bit of water which is a good sign I feel. I haven’t seen him vomit in the last couple days either, but his vet appointment is in a few days and I’m hopeful :) Thank you again for the suggestions!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully with the little extras and him keeping everything in his tummy will help get that weight back :vibes::heartshape: