My 1 week old semi feral kittens disappeared.

feralcataunt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone at my sister's house 4 kittens were left by their mom almost a year ago when they were between 6 and 8 weeks we've been taking care of them since then. They're approximately 11 months old now. The three girls just had kittens. One of the girls had her kittens and we helped her move them inside and she comes in and out throughout the day to nurse her babies the other two kept their kittens outside in a nesting box on the deck. They disappeared on Monday. The two moms with their kittens outside took turns with all of the kittens throughout the day they'd go in the nesting box and they took care of each other's babies so they were never alone and if they were alone neither Mama wasn't too far she was within distance to see the nesting box. They let us pet their babies and them. They are still staying very close to the house and not leaving to far. The house is on a few acres of land and they used to leave our property all day long and only come back to eat and drink and relax since they had their kittens they haven't left the yard. Now that the kittens are gone they're still not leaving the yard. Could that mean they moved them somewhere on the property or they're waiting for them to come back? And would there be signs of a predator came and got them? We haven't seen anything. Because they were so small and their eyes weren't even open yet I don't think they could have gotten far on their own.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say the mamas moved them. That is not unusual for new mamas to do that, especially if there are human children around or too much foot traffic. even the inside kittens are gone? Predators would not go inside a house. The fact that they are sticking around means they haven't moved them far. No blood, and no loose fur is good, which usually means a predator did not get them. The mamas will bring the kittens back when they can eat something besides milk, usually around 4-5 weeks. You could try following them and seeing where they are, but they may move them again. if you do, DO NOT approach and handle them. just observe. Hopefully they will move them back soon!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had this happen and di and bob di and bob is right, many times mother cats will move their kittens, sometimes a few times throughout their growth. If this is her first litter, she may move them more. Do you have a resource to help you get them spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralcataunt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say the mamas moved them. That is not unusual for new mamas to do that, especially if there are human children around or too much foot traffic. even the inside kittens are gone? Predators would not go inside a house. The fact that they are sticking around means they haven't moved them far. No blood, and no loose fur is good, which usually means a predator did not get them. The mamas will bring the kittens back when they can eat something besides milk, usually around 4-5 weeks. You could try following them and seeing where they are, but they may move them again. if you do, DO NOT approach and handle them. just observe. Hopefully they will move them back soon!
The indoor kittens are still inside. She's never moved them once since they been born. They've fallen out of their box that they had and she wouldn't even pick them up to put them back in even when she was right there. After quite a bit of time I ended up picking the kitten up and putting it back in its little box (it's a shallow cardboard box with straw)
The outside kitties didn't help when one of the babies got pushed out of the box or wandered out. (They were crying at me) I was sitting on the deck and I waited a good bit of time I went inside and was watching out of the window and they just kept looking at it. (They were also looking at me through the glass door crying) I ended up picking up the kitten (the mama who was next to the baby went into the box) I opened the top and put the kitten in the middle of the two mamas. Then they both rubbed their heads against my hand like I thank you like when I feed them. But because they won't even pick them up if they fall or wander off I was just thinking how could they have moved them. I have heard they cats move their kittens to keep them safe. It just seems unusual to me that they would move them if they don't pick them up. I'm glad to hear that they might be sticking around because they move their babies somewhere close by I just hope that they're okay. Because we live in the mountains in the middle of nowhere there are a lot of wildlife creatures as well as other feral cats and feral dogs. We didn't see any signs of fur or blood or anything so I got confused as to why they wouldn't be here. I'm glad to hear that people think they will moved I hope so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralcataunt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had this happen and di and bob di and bob is right, many times mother cats will move their kittens, sometimes a few times throughout their growth. If this is her first litter, she may move them more. Do you have a resource to help you get them spayed?
We had just found a place that would come and put out traps to catch them so they could spay and neuter them. We had set up a date for them to come out here and just before they came we noticed the bellies were kind of bigger. They were already pregnant by the time they came out. After they are done nursing we plan on having them come out because I don't think it would be a good idea to take them away for a day or two while they're still nursing mamas.
I'm glad to hear the multiple people seem to think that the mamas moved their kitties. We were very scared that something has happened like another feral male or some other wildlife creature got them.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We had just found a place that would come and put out traps to catch them so they could spay and neuter them. We had set up a date for them to come out here and just before they came we noticed the bellies were kind of bigger. They were already pregnant by the time they came out. After they are done nursing we plan on having them come out because I don't think it would be a good idea to take them away for a day or two while they're still nursing mamas.
I'm glad to hear the multiple people seem to think that the mamas moved their kitties. We were very scared that something has happened like another feral male or some other wildlife creature got them.
Absolutely leave them while still nursing, you're doing a great job :)
I had a very wild cat living in the horse barn once that had a litter. (We did manage to catch her and have her spayed after the kitten were weaned.) Every single time she saw me notice her in her nest of kittens, she would move them in 24 hours or so. I think they are so secretive with their babies that no matter what, they sometimes move them by instinct just to keep potential predators at bay. One mother cat was so good at hiding her kittens that I didn't even know they existed until they were about 3 months old, and they were out exploring together!