Mutilation Nightmare

Jenn81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. First time posting here and desperate for help . About a week ago , my kitten age 7 months had some hair missing at the very end tip of his tail . He didn't seem as if he was hurt , or in pain . Later that night as he climbed up in my lap , I took the opportunity to make sure that the tail was ok and despite some hair loss , his tail looked and felt normal. This is when my nightmare began . Seconds after looking at the tail he bit down extremely hard at the tip where the hair was missing. This biting behavior lasted throughout the night and by the next morning he had bit down to bone . Took him to the vet , she said it was probably a bug bite , and amputated the tip where the bone was showing . The next day he went home , and 3 hours later he had already bit the stitches out . Went back to the vet , and got stitched up again and went home with a e-collar. However ... He is still trying to bite the tail . He acts completely normal until he sees his tail. Then he growls, hisses, and his anal glands leak out . I have researched FHS but his tail biting seems to be his only symptom. I am a stay at home parent , so he always has company with me . He never seems stressed or in pain , he just acts as though hus tail is his worst enemy . Please if you have any advice for me and my sweet Nacho , it would be greatly appreciated. I have researched so much about tail biting, but nothing seems to fit other problems. He is neutered if this helps . No fleas and UTD on shots .

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking that at some point he broke that tail tip and as it was dying it caused the hair loss and enough pain so that he was biting it. It may still be painful as it heals and still causing the biting. If it continues another thing to explore with the vet is whether he has an injury to his lower back or start of tail that may be causing him pain further up on his tail.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenn81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will definitely bring that up this coming Tuesday when I take him back to get the stitches removed . I know it sounds a little crazy , but it was like he was fine one moment and going crazy the next on his tail . As soon as he sees the tail , it's as if he has seen the devil himself ! . He would grab it and bite down until he meowed out in pain . Sometimes he acts as though it doesn't have any pain issues with it , and other times just a brush up against a pillow or wall will make him dart off like it hurt the tail. ...... When he does bite it , thats when he gets extremely agitated and aggressive . His anal glands will leak out and his growls and hisses . His bathroom habits are normal , and eating habits as well . The vet amputated about 2 inches , but so far the sight of seeing his tail still makes him try his hardest to grab and bite it. So I know come Tuesday, his biting will continue and then we are back in the same boat with a bloody tail again . He is strictly indoors , so the thought of a bug bite really didn't seem like the cause , but I didn't question her expertise. Now after days of healing , and he still has the same behavior, Inam starting to highly doubt it was indeed a bug bite .