Mummy Cat Keeps Leaving Her 1 Day Old Babies

Princess-Rapunzel-Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help,
My cat Rapunzel had two kittens yesterday morning however she keeps leaving them, I've made a little den under my stair with the nursing box, litter tray and her food. I have then put a blanket it up so she has more privacy as I have a 4 and 6 year old that are very intrigued. .
Basically do I have anything to worry about, when she is leaving them I'm putting a hot water bottle under the blankets so they stay warm. She is clearly looking after them as they are clean and anytime she is in there they are feeding from her. I don't want to stress her by making her stay in there so any advice I would very much appreciate. Xx

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Are the kittens snuggled in a pile, or are they crawling around and crying?
If they're quiet and piled up sleeping, you're golden ;)
There are lots of experts here, but for the time being, I think just keep doing what you're doing.
They are DARLING!! :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Princess-Rapunzel-Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Are the kittens snuggled in a pile, or are they crawling around and crying?
If they're quiet and piled up sleeping, you're golden ;)
There are lots of experts here, but for the time being, I think just keep doing what you're doing.
They are DARLING!! :redheartpump:
Thank you so much for your reply. They are cuddled up together. Thank you again that has stopped me worrying for now xx

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Moms don't usually stay with their babies 24/7. That includes people also. So taking a break while they are sleeping, which they do a lot , is pretty normal. I would not put food there as it will be a long time before the kittens are interested. To a cat at this stage having food there is a bad thing because the smell will draw other animals to the food and thus the kittens. The goal now is to keep them as order free and quiet as possible. The mom might actually move them to a better spot if she thinks it's to public. It will be several weeks before they start moving around much. You can put everything for her in her own spot and she will go to it when she wants. But for now all her kittens need is provided by her. So really a quiet safe place to sleep and care for them is all she wants now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Princess-Rapunzel-Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moms don't usually stay with their babies 24/7. That includes people also. So taking a break while they are sleeping, which they do a lot , is pretty normal. I would not put food there as it will be a long time before the kittens are interested. To a cat at this stage having food there is a bad thing because the smell will draw other animals to the food and thus the kittens. The goal now is to keep them as order free and quiet as possible. The mom might actually move them to a better spot if she thinks it's to public. It will be several weeks before they start moving around much. You can put everything for her in her own spot and she will go to it when she wants. But for now all her kittens need is provided by her. So really a quiet safe place to sleep and care for them is all she wants now.
You saying that about the food and her potentially moving them she has done into a corner behind the sofa so I have just put some blankets down and made it more comfortable for her and the kittens. Thank you for you reply I really appreciate it. Xx

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to supplement mom cats food by giving her wet kitten food. And, if you can find it, Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR), the powdered form. Mix her a saucer or two very easy. It will provide her the extra calcium, fat, and protean she needs to aid her milk production.

Keep us updated, please!