Mum Allergic to Kitten. Advice?

kittycatfifi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, so I made a post yesterday about how happy I was for my new kitten and how well she’s adapting to the new environment. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be able to keep her as I live with my mum and she has developed a really bad allergy to cat hair. She walked into the room where my cats safe place is and she had a terrible reaction, she never had this before so I’m quite confused. She took an allergy tablet and it helped a little bit but still was sneezing etc.
I’m so upset and sad because I’ve wanted a kitten for so long but in the long run it may be difficult to keep the kitten at home especially as I am working and a student at university so my mum would have to look after a lot.
When buying the kitten ,my whole family were extremely sure that it would not affect us in any way and it was a great addition to our family but now I’m stuck.
I want to provide the cat with the best home possible and if it might not be within my household, then giving her back to the original owner may be what’s best.
Any advice? I’m still so sad as even in the last 3 days I’ve grown quite attached :(

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a very hard decision but you need to act pretty fast. You need to think if you keep the kitten will it ever be able to be able to roam the house with your mom being ok? I would never recommend giving the kitten back normally I would try everything to keep her.. but in this specific situation your mom can't even walk in a room where she is.

I would get in contact with the people who you got her from sooner rather than later so they can find her another home while she js still a young kitten which is 10 weeks if I remember correctly right? If so then the sooner you get her back to the sellers the better she doesn't need the stress of staying with you for a couple weeks or months then you decide you just can't keep her.. then she has to be returned to the seller. That would cause a lot of stress just the fact she went from their house to yours for a fair amount of time back to their house where now they have to find her another home which would then be harder because of her age.. (depending on how long you keep her) but the stress is the main point it has been 3 or 4 days now so I would go ahead and return her asap if you know you won't be able to keep her.

Then you and your parents could go to a shelter and try to find a kitty that you all will be ok with.

This is such a sad situation. I'm so sorry your mom Is allergic to her. I couldn't imagine but you do need to think about her best interest now. Truly think about it. If it is possible for you to keep her through your mom's allergies (not just keeping her confined to one room and not just putting her outside) this is including letting her roam the house.

If your mom can deal with the allergies by all means yes definitely keep her.

If you know her allergies are too much then take her back. Call the sellers today and get her back asap. This way hopefully if they have any siblings left she will have an easier transition back to their home before they find her a new home.

I'm sorry you are going through this.

You can always adopt another cat from a shelter. You and your family could go together to find one your mom isn't allergic to. This would be a good option I think..

People might not agree with me. Maybe someone else can come on here having a better idea of what you can do..

I know personally how it is to have severe allergies to the point of not being able to breathe around cats when I was younger. Just being in the same house made me have issues breathing I didn't even need to be around them.. (it was a friend's house that had cats) I just couldn't go there anymore because my allergies were so severe.

Again I am so sorry you are going through this. Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycatfifi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Heather, yes I’m so sad right now :(
But always thinking in the best interests of the cat, my mum walked into the room where she is right now and walked about a bit and felt that her throat was itching and her eyes began watering - she also sneezed a lot, she tried taking allergy tablets but still had a bad reaction :(
I spoke to the previous owner and they said to give it a day or so and then we’ll discuss further, it was really random too as my mum was sure she didn’t have any allergies as she grew up with cats roaming in her home and was very loving towards them. So we’re probably going to give it one day and then contact the previous owner again. It makes me so sad and guilty that I’m unable to look after the kitty anymore. As it’s been such a long dream of mine to be a cat mum and have a kitty in my house , so if my mums condition doesn’t progress and gets worse then we will have to do something. I’ve already read up on cats which don’t cause any allergies and maybe we can try get one.
I totally agree with what you said and that to take back the kitten sooner then later as it’ll be extremely stressful and very inhumane of us to let her get used to us and then give her back :(
Will definitely keep you posted, I feel just terrible about it and I’m hoping that she’ll be at a home where they can provide her with the best care - I already love her sm😞

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know when I was young I couldn't be around cats at all not even in the same house I literally couldn't breathe my eyes would swell shut I'd be coughing and seezing.. when I got a little older and now into my adult years I'm lucky enough to say that I'm no longer allergic to them.

I feel so bad to even mention taking her back like I said usually I would recommend anything and everything to keep the kitty in the home. This is just a situation where it isn't looking like it is a possibility... I really am so sorry.

I do want to say I am very happy that you are keeping everyone's welfare as the top priority including the kitten. Not a everyone does that. When I hear people doing what is best for the cat and not themselves, it really makes my heart happy. This is such a sad situation...

I want to personally thank you from the bottom of my heart for trying to do what is best for the kitten and your household.

I know you feel guilty but try to look at it this way.. you pretty much can guarantee that if you keep her she will be confined to one room because of your mom's severe allergies.. that is no fun for the kitten.. she should be able to have access to roam the whole house with a room or so off limits, but not the whole house off limits and stuck in one room.

I can only imagine going through this. I know when I adopted my kitty from the shelter I fell in love with her the day we brought her home.. I would have been devastated if for whatever reason I had to return her.

You really are keeping the kittens best interest in the forefront of your mind. Which honestly not a lot of people would make the decision in the best interest of the kitten.

Try giving it today see if your mom taking allergy medicine first thing this morning then going near the kitten helps her not have a reaction. If her taking allergy meds first thing In the morning and it helps would she be willing to do that every day? If so then that would work you would be able to keep her. This just popped up in my head.

So go talk to your mom ask her if taking allergy medicine before being in the same room as kitty works would she be willing to take the allergy meds every day first thing In the morning...

kittycatfifi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes definitely, like you said when I got her from my friend I fell in love ,she is so small and so precious :( and I definitely love her so much already.
What’s keeping me going is the fact that if someone can provide her with a better life than it’ll feel rewarding to me also because I don’t want to confide her to one room so my mum can be protected. She has had some allergy tablets a few hours ago and they don’t seem to be helping much.
We’ll give it until tomorrow and then unfortunately will have to take her back :( really really sad to think about but I teared up reading your message. I’m turning 19 soon and I feel like when I am a bit older and moving to my own apartment then I will adopt a kitty. At the moment my best interests are looking after my mum and providing the best solution for the kitty (we called her fifi😢) and ensuring she goes to another loving home , because we definitely love her a lot:(

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes definitely, like you said when I got her from my friend I fell in love ,she is so small and so precious :( and I definitely love her so much already.
What’s keeping me going is the fact that if someone can provide her with a better life than it’ll feel rewarding to me also because I don’t want to confide her to one room so my mum can be protected. She has had some allergy tablets a few hours ago and they don’t seem to be helping much.
We’ll give it until tomorrow and then unfortunately will have to take her back :( really really sad to think about but I teared up reading your message. I’m turning 19 soon and I feel like when I am a bit older and moving to my own apartment then I will adopt a kitty. At the moment my best interests are looking after my mum and providing the best solution for the kitty (we called her fifi😢) and ensuring she goes to another loving home , because we definitely love her a lot:(
Your mom is lucky to have you as her child.
You are 19, have a heart of gold, and you are putting your mom before your wants... not many people your age would be willing to do so. I hope you always keep a good strong relationship with your mom.

I'm so sorry I don't have a solution where you could keep her if your moms allergies don't subside with the allergy medicine... I feel so bad because I know the love you have for Fifi.

Fifi is truly lucky that it was you who had gotten her. Because you are willing to put and keep her wellbeing above all else.. She truly is lucky.

You will never forget her you will always have a special place in your heart specifically for Fifi. I'll get back on here after a bit. It is 10:39 am where I am I have some things to do but I will check in with you a little later hun. Try to have a good day with Fifi I know it is hard.. but you are doing the best thing for your mom and her..

kittycatfifi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
honestly I wish a better solution would show up :(
Keeping the cat would always be the best thing to happen but at this rate I don’t think so :(
Thankyou so much for the help it is highly appreciated and wishing you the best with everything, have a lovely day and I hope ur errands run smoothly ❤ honestly every message you’ve sent has cheered me up and made me feel better (also teared up a bit haha)!!
It’s 3:58 pm for me rn so im just sitting with fifi and cherishing these last moments I have with her.
Will keep u updated😊

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, but since your mom had cats before are you 100% sure it's the kitten and not something like the cat litter she might be allergic to? There are a lot of cat litters on the market now and it's fairly common for people to be allergic to certain ones, and since the kitten uses the litter box it will have litter dust/particles on it. Also since it's just your room do you use any new air fresheners in there, possibly to help with the litter box odors? Or a scented cat litter?

If it really is the kitten and you do go the route of a more allergy friendly kitten in the future keep in mind that there is no such thing as a 100% hypoallergenic breed. What most people that are allergic to cats react to is a protein in the saliva of the cat, but there are some breeds that have less of that protein in their saliva, so individuals of those breeds can have less or no effect on people that are allergic to it. It does vary from individual cat to cat though, even from the same litter, so make sure you bring your mom to make sure the specific kitten you pick works for her.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
K kittycatfifi hey hun what allergy medicine does your mom have? Is there anyway she can get either Claritin or zyrtec it can be the off brand because off brand medicines have to be comprised of the same ingredients. I'm thinking maybe a different medicine would help your mom? I had been thinking and I remembered as a kid I had to use zyrtec now as an adult I use Claritin whenever I have seasonal allergies. I use the off brands of any OTC medicine.
If the medicine your mom has now maybe she can get a different one to try tomorrow?

Also as amethyst amethyst mentioned do you think it could possibly be the litter? What is the kind you are using? Is it scented? Does it say "unscented" does it say "fragrance free" as there is a difference in the two

As for fragrance free here are some options I shared in another thread here is the link for that..

So a couple things if you would want to try another day so tomorrow
1: a new allergy medicine
2: fragrance free litter
(In the link to the other thread the first one is an arm and hammer brand that I have used and it worked well)
3: what about air purifiers?

I am really hoping that something will help you be able to keep the pre ious little Fifi.

You are truly an angel to Fifi.
I really believe that everyone, even pets, come into our lives for a reason. Even if it is a short amount of time I believe it is for a reason. You may never know what the reason may have been for such encounters.. but at least you have had the encounter. If it happens with Fifi where you just can't keep her despite trying everything. Just keep her in your heart. She was there with you for only a few days yea, but she is special and means something to you, she had unconditional love from you and that is what matters. The fact that you are putting her wellbeing above all else is amazing especially considering being fairly young. I know a lot of adults my age who wouldn't do that for the kitten if they were in your shoes. They would be selfish keeping the kitten and either confining her to one room or putting her outside. Which neither option is optimal for her. You truly love her and it is evident. You will never forget Fifi, even whenever you get another kitty you will still remember her and how much love you had for her.

So... if there is anyway you and your family can try these few changes for one or two more days maybe just maybe the changes will help your mom with her allergies and you will be able to keep Fifi.

Ok sweetheart keep me posted. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

kittycatfifi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again lovely , I hope you’re doing well!! Once again teared up to a message you’ve sent , you’re an angel! So ultimately we’ve decided it’d be best to pass her on to someone else, after taking the medication and being in the room with the cat she felt terrible after. We’ll take your advice and try another medicine tomorrow. :(
Unfortunately the cats previous owner (a friend of a friend) was terrible and didn’t want to take her back because they were just not wanted back. That felt to me as if fifi was being treated as an object rather than a living being and made me so sad, I didn’t even bother trying to convince them to take her back. I have a few good friends who would be interested in her and who I can trust with her, as I do still believe she is my responsibility regardless.
I will forever love her and not beat myself up over it anymore , it’s not my fault and neither is it my mums , who didn’t even know she had a nasty allergy like that or the cats , she’s so precious I might cry.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again lovely , I hope you’re doing well!! Once again teared up to a message you’ve sent , you’re an angel! So ultimately we’ve decided it’d be best to pass her on to someone else, after taking the medication and being in the room with the cat she felt terrible after. We’ll take your advice and try another medicine tomorrow. :(
Unfortunately the cats previous owner (a friend of a friend) was terrible and didn’t want to take her back because they were just not wanted back. That felt to me as if fifi was being treated as an object rather than a living being and made me so sad, I didn’t even bother trying to convince them to take her back. I have a few good friends who would be interested in her and who I can trust with her, as I do still believe she is my responsibility regardless.
I will forever love her and not beat myself up over it anymore , it’s not my fault and neither is it my mums , who didn’t even know she had a nasty allergy like that or the cats , she’s so precious I might cry.
You know what, the people you got Fifi from don't even deserve to see her. Maybe this was supposed to happen even if you were just to be in her life for about a week or so until you find someone who you trust that can take her. This way the people she came from wouldn't neglect her...

Now I think I know the reason you and her crossed paths. So you could show her love and compassion whereas she might not have gotten that where she was, and might have wound up with someone who wouldn't have really cared for her because the people you got her from obviously dodnt really care and just wanted to get rid of the kittens. They didn't care where they went. So I truly believe you saved her from going somewhere where she could have been mistreated or neglected or just not loved as much as if you find her a home. I hope this makes sense.

Also, since it will more than likely be a friend of yours that gets Fifi you may still be able to stay in contact with her.
It would truly be amazing if you could get pictures of her throughout her life and see her sometimes. That might be something to talk to whoever your friend is that does wind up getting her.

I'm glad you are finding her a home though because I can truly tell how much you love this precious little girl. Even though it is a short amount of time, she was truly lucky to have had you in her life. You are her angel I really believe this.

I am so happy to hear that you won't take it personally that it didn't work out because like you said, it is no one's fault at all. I wish there were more people in the world who cared for animals as you are caring for Fifi. Your parents have truly done a fantastic job with raising you!! They are lucky to have you. You are so kind, selfless, very responsible, and you have a huge heart, that is evident. Any parent would be lucky to call you their daughter. (I'm sorry I am assuming you are a young lady, and truly apologize if I am wrong)

I'll check in tomorrow to see how things are going. Have a good night hun. You and Fifi are in my thoughts and prayers.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey hun, just checking in. I was just wondering how things are going today with your mom's allergies. Was she able to get a different allergy medicine by chance? Also how are you doing?