Mucous and blood in Stool

Tincanalley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my guy has mucous and blood in his stool. He's being to the vet several times and we have tried all kinds of dried and wet food from the vet for his digestion. He had the pcr test for giardia and other parasites and he is clear. Vet put him on Royal Canin Gastro intestinal and he does much better with the higher fibre but there is still a little blood. He loves wet food and I've tried all kinds including Rayne's rabbit, I only give him a very small portion but the blood still increases with wet food. I currently have wet venison food on order to see how he does with that. I have a higher fiber kibble here Nutri Source (16% fibre) and his stool looked alot better but he doesn't like the taste and now won't eat it. Is there a healthy food with high fibre that's tasty that you would recommend? . We are in Canada. Tks/Tina

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tincanalley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my guy is just over one year old.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'm misunderstanding here but if fiber seems to be helping, why not ask the vet about giving your cat fiber as a supplement rather than feeding a food with fiber in it? It really would be best to keep him on wet food so if you could give him plain fiber -- maybe psyllium husks, which a lot of cats seem to take -- you'd likely be giving him a better diet along with some relief. We have a cat who gets mild constipation but does very well with the small amounts of psyllium in Vet's Best anti-hairball tablets. Pum

If fiber doesn't continue to resolve the problem, do look into dietary changes: we had a cat whose first, early, symptom of IBD was bloody stools. Not all vets are good at sorting those symptoms so keep pushing for help if you're not able to resolve your cat's problem!

Good luck!