MRSA like UTI that won’t go away

shannonm789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! I am at a loss. My 8 year old cat who suffers from FLUTD has had a persistent UTI for the past 6 months. It is antivirus resistant but the culture says that it responds to zeniquin so he has been on that for a month at a time for the past 3 months. After he finishes a round I wait two weeks to do another culture and it always comes back. He also acts perfect while on the antibiotics and about a week after they finish he’s back to his peeing on the carpet/straining. He is also on the royal canin urinary wet abs dry food as well as Prozac. I feel like I have tried everything and I’m getting nervous that there is no cure. Any tips or advice is welcome! Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure what you mean by 'antivirus resistant', so that would be helpful to me if you could explain that.

Otherwise, do you know what the bacteria is actually called? While Feeby was never diagnosed with FLUTD/FIC, she was routinely getting UTIs and the bacteria was identified as a form of e-coli. The cultures always indicated Orbax as the antibiotic most likely to eradicate her form of bacteria. Well, it never really did entirely. I ended up finding out that pure D-Mannose can be given to help clear certain bacteria from the bladder, including e-coli. I started Feeby on D-Mannose and she has been UTI free since (knock on wood). A lot of members use D-Mannose for general bladder health and have had success with it, so you might consider giving it a try.

Additionally, does your cat have crystals/stones present in his bladder? If so, those will continue to irritate the bladder lining leading to the opportunity of never-ending infections caused from the inflammation from the irritation. Antibiotics will help reduce inflammation but can't really eliminate it permanently. Even if your cat does not have bladder stones/crystals, inflammation is a very common issue for cats with FLUTD/FIC. So, either way, I would ask your vet if your cat would benefit by taking anti-inflammatories.

You didn't mention if he is on any sort of special diet. Dietary changes are also helpful in dissolving certain types of stones, so if your cat is not on urinary care food that might another thing to consider. Once you can get the recurrent UTIs under control, you can do what most folks do and discontinue the urinary care food, but ensure your cat ultimately eats a diet that is exclusively wet food; the added moisture will help to keep the bladder better flushed out thereby reducing inflammation and the potential for infections.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shannonm789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure what you mean by 'antivirus resistant', so that would be helpful to me if you could explain that.

Otherwise, do you know what the bacteria is actually called? While Feeby was never diagnosed with FLUTD/FIC, she was routinely getting UTIs and the bacteria was identified as a form of e-coli. The cultures always indicated Orbax as the antibiotic most likely to eradicate her form of bacteria. Well, it never really did entirely. I ended up finding out that pure D-Mannose can be given to help clear certain bacteria from the bladder, including e-coli. I started Feeby on D-Mannose and she has been UTI free since (knock on wood). A lot of members use D-Mannose for general bladder health and have had success with it, so you might consider giving it a try.

Additionally, does your cat have crystals/stones present in his bladder? If so, those will continue to irritate the bladder lining leading to the opportunity of never-ending infections caused from the inflammation from the irritation. Antibiotics will help reduce inflammation but can't really eliminate it permanently. Even if your cat does not have bladder stones/crystals, inflammation is a very common issue for cats with FLUTD/FIC. So, either way, I would ask your vet if your cat would benefit by taking anti-inflammatories.

You didn't mention if he is on any sort of special diet. Dietary changes are also helpful in dissolving certain types of stones, so if your cat is not on urinary care food that might another thing to consider. Once you can get the recurrent UTIs under control, you can do what most folks do and discontinue the urinary care food, but ensure your cat ultimately eats a diet that is exclusively wet food; the added moisture will help to keep the bladder better flushed out thereby reducing inflammation and the potential for infections.
Thank you! Sorry I meant the infection seems to be antibiotic resistant. And he has had crystals in the past but botnsure abount currently. He is on royal canin urinary food wet and dry and I add water when I can! I’m not sure what the exact bacteria is they just tell me it’s like a MRSA I will ask today when they call me back! And thank you so much I will definitely ask about the anti inflammatory as well as the D mannose!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
By royal canin urinary do you mean the urinary SO? The prescription diet designed to help dissolve kidney/bladder stones and crystals?