Moving Cats Between Homes

carmelnave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone and thank you for reading and maybe answering my concerns
I have to kittens 6 month old male and female they are very sweet comfortable cats and we have a great bond as for Im home a lot with them playing and hanging out
I am a flight attendant and recently my boyfriend and I broke up and he moved out
my question is what will be better for the cats when I have to go to work sometimes for 4 days sometimes a week or even 10 days.... will it be a good idea to take them to my ex home where he can take care of them, he works morning to late eve but can feed them clean their box and be with them when he is home or is it better to have him or pay someone to come to my home daily to feed them and clean their litter box ??
they are also used to go out to my patio during the day when I'm around but when I'll be at work obviously they wont be able to do that.....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are all about territory, and constant moving can be very upsetting for them. IF you have access to someone you can utterly trust to come in and care for them, and to spend some time with them, they are probably going to feel more secure in their own home. Although, since your ex lives in the home you shared, and they are familiar with it and him, they might do fine being with him. Is he dependable and willing? You know what, on second thought, I would be very uncomfortable leaving my cat to a sitter for 10 days unless that sitter was a dear friend who would house and cat sit. Try taking them over for a night or two, and see how they do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carmelnave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are all about territory, and constant moving can be very upsetting for them. IF you have access to someone you can utterly trust to come in and care for them, and to spend some time with them, they are probably going to feel more secure in their own home. Although, since your ex lives in the home you shared, and they are familiar with it and him, they might do fine being with him. Is he dependable and willing? You know what, on second thought, I would be very uncomfortable leaving my cat to a sitter for 10 days unless that sitter was a dear friend who would house and cat sit. Try taking them over for a night or two, and see how they do!
Thank you so much for your answer, I will try to do that and also my next door neighbors said they will be willing to take care of them while I'm gone ... I will have to exhaust all options before thinking of finding them a new home which off course will tear my heart a part

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Next door neighbors can be life savers if they are caring and reliable! AND they are RIGHT THERE if, God forbid, a real emergency comes up. Now, when you decide how this is going to be handled, make sure that your caregiver has not only the name of your vet, but is listed AT THE VET'S OFFICE as having permission to authorize emergency treatment.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your neighbours!

You might get lucky. Before I had cats myself I lived next door to someone who had to work away from home frequently, and I was more than happy to care for his sweet little cat while he was away. He'd spend some time exploring my flat when I got home from work, then I'd pop him back to his own home just down the hall when I went to bed, and give him food and cuddles again in the morning. Was quite a nice arrangement tbh, cat was well cared for.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since you have 2 kittens, they might be ok staying in your home while you're away, since they have each other for company.

A friend of mine cat sits her brother's cats whenever the brother goes away, and sometimes it's for 1 or 2 weeks. She does check on them twice a day, so it is quite a responsibility, and one your neighbour might not want to take on.

Have you looked into professional cat sitters? I think cat sitters might charge for the length of time they stay at your house, so you could even have them play with your cats each day, as well as feeding and litter box cleaning.