Moving Cat To Apartment

BigPoppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a Junior in college and my 6 month old kitten will be coming with me to my new apartment on campus. This past year i opted to live at home and commute to decrease my student loans, and found my cat when he was just barely a few weeks old.
I live in a lively house where something is always going on, and someone is always home. My kitten enjoys running around with our dogs and hanging out on the back porch when people are out there and he especially loves my families adult cat. He loves grooming him, playing with him, etc.
The other two cats in my house are indoor/outdoor and go in and out as the please. My cat is the first cat ive ever had that ive forced to stay indoors because I knew he wouldnt adjust to an apartment well if he had the opportunities to go outdoors. I know the majority of people on this site dont agree with indoor/outdoor cats and I do not care to get into that debate, however all of my families cats are neutered, receive all vaccines (not just rabies) and are never overdue, they are also on monthly revolution, microchipped and wear collars. They are not walking around unprotected or spreading diseases. Same goes for my cat.
Since ive forced my cat to be an indoor cat i have already felt incredibly guilty, but now im starting to worry he will be bored and depressed since my days will be spent in class and he will be alone. Ive already got floating shelves i will put on the walls so he can climb them and have a perch, i have several toys for him and even a feeding system that makes him feel like he is hunting and catching a mouse. I purposely picked an apartment with a view of a park and a big window with a ledge so he can look out, and i will leave the TV on either music or an animal show for him. Should I get him a friend? The apartment is a little over 500 sq ft.
I know most cats are fine being solitary and minding their own business during the day, but he really thrives off of company, both people and animals alike. Does anyone have any tips of moving him to the apartment, helping him adjust, or ideas on how to make sure he is not bored or depressed during the day?

Thanks!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten is young enough to adjust easily to new surroundings and as long as you move him last so he doesn’t get scared by movers and boxes and the noises surrounding the move he will be fine. Your place sounds like it will be great for him. I wouldn’t consider a second kitten at this point, I think you have a lot on your plate and don’t need the added work and stress of a second cat. Your kitten will adapt to his new life and will be okay as an only.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! You are so thoughtful for your furbuddy, thank you for that!!

As usual, I'm in agreement with susanm9006 susanm9006
In case you haven't had a chance to access the library of this site, here are a couple articles that might have a useful tip or an aha moment for you. Good luck with everything!

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips
16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats in a 1 bedroom, but there was a time I had just the one cat. They do well as long as your provide them interactive play and vertical space. Mine have a cat tree that goes to the ceiling and I use sunny seats in the windows (they're like platforms you can suction cup to windows that the cats can sit on).

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a Junior in college and my 6 month old kitten will be coming with me to my new apartment on campus. This past year i opted to live at home and commute to decrease my student loans, and found my cat when he was just barely a few weeks old.
I live in a lively house where something is always going on, and someone is always home. My kitten enjoys running around with our dogs and hanging out on the back porch when people are out there and he especially loves my families adult cat. He loves grooming him, playing with him, etc.
The other two cats in my house are indoor/outdoor and go in and out as the please. My cat is the first cat ive ever had that ive forced to stay indoors because I knew he wouldnt adjust to an apartment well if he had the opportunities to go outdoors. I know the majority of people on this site dont agree with indoor/outdoor cats and I do not care to get into that debate, however all of my families cats are neutered, receive all vaccines (not just rabies) and are never overdue, they are also on monthly revolution, microchipped and wear collars. They are not walking around unprotected or spreading diseases. Same goes for my cat.
Since ive forced my cat to be an indoor cat i have already felt incredibly guilty, but now im starting to worry he will be bored and depressed since my days will be spent in class and he will be alone. Ive already got floating shelves i will put on the walls so he can climb them and have a perch, i have several toys for him and even a feeding system that makes him feel like he is hunting and catching a mouse. I purposely picked an apartment with a view of a park and a big window with a ledge so he can look out, and i will leave the TV on either music or an animal show for him. Should I get him a friend? The apartment is a little over 500 sq ft.
I know most cats are fine being solitary and minding their own business during the day, but he really thrives off of company, both people and animals alike. Does anyone have any tips of moving him to the apartment, helping him adjust, or ideas on how to make sure he is not bored or depressed during the day?

Thanks!
Stop feeling guilty. As I was reading all you're doing to ensure this little kittens happiness, adjustment and comfort I've decided that if I die I'm coming back as a kitten and will be at your doorstep =)
What you have planned to enrich his environment is amazing, and shows you're an extremely responsible owner.
Does your TV get you tube? There are cat videos online, hours of a stationary camera aimed at bird feeding areas, squirrels, etc., that most cats go NUTS for. Just make sure the TV is VERY stationary and secure! :thumbsup:

As far as a friend, I'm not sure. Depending on your schedule, your semesters and off-times and where you plan to go after graduation might influence that decision. If you DO decide to get a new little one I'd suggest letting your current guy settle in a bit, get used to his space and routine and then consider it. Depending on how the apartment is set up, even a playful 6 month old can hurt an 8 week old kitten if things aren't "controlled" so if you have a break over the summer, that might be the time to consider a new kid so that by the time you go back to school, the new kitten is a bit bigger and they've gotten to know one another better. JMO =)
You sound like a great owner and any kitty would be lucky to have you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigPoppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your kitten is young enough to adjust easily to new surroundings and as long as you move him last so he doesn’t get scared by movers and boxes and the noises surrounding the move he will be fine. Your place sounds like it will be great for him. I wouldn’t consider a second kitten at this point, I think you have a lot on your plate and don’t need the added work and stress of a second cat. Your kitten will adapt to his new life and will be okay as an only.
Thank you!! My university is only 20 minutes away from my home so everything will be moved in and settled before I bring him!

BigPoppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! You are so thoughtful for your furbuddy, thank you for that!!

As usual, I'm in agreement with susanm9006 susanm9006
In case you haven't had a chance to access the library of this site, here are a couple articles that might have a useful tip or an aha moment for you. Good luck with everything!

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips
16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
I hadn't seen the articles on moving, so I will definitely be checking them out!!

BigPoppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats in a 1 bedroom, but there was a time I had just the one cat. They do well as long as your provide them interactive play and vertical space. Mine have a cat tree that goes to the ceiling and I use sunny seats in the windows (they're like platforms you can suction cup to windows that the cats can sit on).
I will be in a one bedroom as well. I will look into the sunny seats. The only window beds I've seen you have to nail into the wall and I don't want to put too many holes in the wall. I will look into them, thanks!!

BigPoppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stop feeling guilty. As I was reading all you're doing to ensure this little kittens happiness, adjustment and comfort I've decided that if I die I'm coming back as a kitten and will be at your doorstep =)
What you have planned to enrich his environment is amazing, and shows you're an extremely responsible owner.
Does your TV get you tube? There are cat videos online, hours of a stationary camera aimed at bird feeding areas, squirrels, etc., that most cats go NUTS for. Just make sure the TV is VERY stationary and secure! :thumbsup:

As far as a friend, I'm not sure. Depending on your schedule, your semesters and off-times and where you plan to go after graduation might influence that decision. If you DO decide to get a new little one I'd suggest letting your current guy settle in a bit, get used to his space and routine and then consider it. Depending on how the apartment is set up, even a playful 6 month old can hurt an 8 week old kitten if things aren't "controlled" so if you have a break over the summer, that might be the time to consider a new kid so that by the time you go back to school, the new kitten is a bit bigger and they've gotten to know one another better. JMO =)
You sound like a great owner and any kitty would be lucky to have you!
Good thinking with the YouTube. The apartment is included with a tv, cable, and Roku which I think I can access YouTube on. So I think I will just put a video on for him before a leave for class. Thankfully the tv is nailed to the wall

If he does end up becoming super depressed/sad I wouldn't get him a kitten I'd get an adult cat from the shelter that way personality is pretty much set in stone and any illnesses are most likely known. But good idea about waiting till a school break to do it, that way I wouldn't have to worry about keeping one shut in a bedroom for 5-6 hours while I'm not there!