Moving cat boxes?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four litter boxes for my three cats. Two are upstairs in my craft room/guest room and two are in the basement laundry room. I want to move all of the litter boxes to the basement so the guest room can be used like an actual bedroom without it smelling like a cat box. Do you think this will be an issue for my cats? I would keep one upstairs, but I have two dogs as well and they would absolutely enjoy some tootsie rolls if the boxes were out in the open and there isn't another place I could put the boxes except the guest room (which is blocked off from the dogs). The basement is blocked off from the dogs and they are only allowed down there when I'm with them, so I can put the boxes anywhere downstairs. I just worry that having all the boxes downstairs is a bad idea because they are all in the same vicinity. If it matters, the upstairs boxes right now are not used as much as the basement ones.

Longtime_cat_parent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like it could work out, there being a slight adjustment for, but at least are already acquainted with being downstairs.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have four litter boxes for my three cats. Two are upstairs in my craft room/guest room and two are in the basement laundry room. I want to move all of the litter boxes to the basement so the guest room can be used like an actual bedroom without it smelling like a cat box. Do you think this will be an issue for my cats? I would keep one upstairs, but I have two dogs as well and they would absolutely enjoy some tootsie rolls if the boxes were out in the open and there isn't another place I could put the boxes except the guest room (which is blocked off from the dogs). The basement is blocked off from the dogs and they are only allowed down there when I'm with them, so I can put the boxes anywhere downstairs. I just worry that having all the boxes downstairs is a bad idea because they are all in the same vicinity. If it matters, the upstairs boxes right now are not used as much as the basement ones.
I would not put all the boxes downstairs. As your cat age, they will likely need one per floor of the home.

You're right to think that having them all in the same area could allow for box-guarding. It's easier to prevent an issue rather than fix one.

Is there a closet upstairs you could cut a kitty door into and put the box at the bottom? Or under the bathroom sink?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not put all the boxes downstairs. As your cat age, they will likely need one per floor of the home.

You're right to think that having them all in the same area could allow for box-guarding. It's easier to prevent an issue rather than fix one.

Is there a closet upstairs you could cut a kitty door into and put the box at the bottom? Or under the bathroom sink?
I have a typical mid-century house with small rooms, so there aren't a lot of options, but I think if I could get a piece of furniture that can hide a litter box that looks nice, I could get away with it being in my office/dining room.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a typical mid-century house with small rooms, so there aren't a lot of options, but I think if I could get a piece of furniture that can hide a litter box that looks nice, I could get away with it being in my office/dining room.
I have a set of litterboxes for my girl in the dining room. At least for us, if I scoop them immediately after she goes there's no residual smell in the room. Hopefully you have the same luck!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Bond has his box in the opened for now but his pee smells bad like concentrated amonia cleaner bad. I scoop it once a day and it is usualy good after that. Just be aware of amonia oders.

I did have a cabnet type thing before but it reeked so bad the urine permeated the particle board. I think one of my old cats sprayed it. It is long gone now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bond has his box in the opened for now but his pee smells bad like concentrated amonia cleaner bad. I scoop it once a day and it is usualy good after that. Just be aware of amonia oders.

I did have a cabnet type thing before but it reeked so bad the urine permeated the particle board. I think one of my old cats sprayed it. It is long gone now.
My boy cat sprays over the box all the time, so all of the litter boxes I have are in tote boxes that are lined with pee pads that I change out periodically.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That third box that I showed might do very well in an office/dining room. And the top of it could certainly work. Like a small sideboard!