Moving Away - What Should I Do With The Colony?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm supposed to be moving in the very near future. Not exactly sure when but between December this year to June next year (hopefully).

What should I do with the colony in my neigborhood? Technically, I'm their caretaker. I haven't done the workshop yet but I registered with the city as their caretaker and I'm now waiting for the workshop date (August 10th).

It's been a lot of work and I doubt anyone other than me would be willing to take on this kind of responsibility.

So, what do I do with all these cats? Has anyone ever been through this before? What did you do?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan took her colony with her when she moved. I don't know if that's possible in your situation. The only other option is to find someone in your neighborhood to take care of the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that is possible for my situation and where I'll be living. Displacing so many cats and bringing them to an entirely new area might upset people and cause issues with neigbors. No one I know would be willing to look after them. This is a terrible area filled with unkind and selfish people. I just don't know what to do. Should I TNR as many as I can for the time being?

Feral Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, i do understand your heartbreak there,
I have worried if I have to move or if i die, what happens to my wild cats?
I understand.
but yes, do TNVR the cats, there are usually local TNVR groups who can help you do this, who can loan the traps to you, and by teaching you How to trap a cat (not as easy as i thought it would be, nope...)
and where to go to get low cost surgeries on ferals, etc.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Norachan Norachan took her colony with her when she moved.
I did, yes, but I was moving to my own house with a huge fenced in yard. If Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily is moving to rented accommodation it will be difficult to do that.

If you need to relocate cats you have to keep them contained for at least 30 days, either indoors or in crates in a shed or garage. You can't just turn them loose in a new neighbourhood, they wouldn't survive.

How many cats are you caring for Graceful lily? Are they very feral or can they be handled at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say they are all semi-feral but, they are mostly skittish. Once caught, they are all very loving and would make great house cats. As they once were before being abandoned.

I look after which ever cats come for feeding. However, there are a lot more in the area.