Moving and dilemma with one friendly and one unfriendly cat. Or should I leave both of them?

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do u spend much time with them apart from feeding times? If u can, start hanging out with them more especially if u know where they hangout. Sit near them while u read a book or soak in sun, give them treats every so often so they keep staying near u. Try to get them eating treats out of your hand.

Talk to them too, develop a phrase to calm them such as "good girl/boy" so when u try to catch them u can use the phrase to calm them

Basically try to build as much trust as u can and get them used to your scent and presence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laundyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are relatively young compared with mine. The older one will be 9 years old tomorrow. The younger one is probably 4 years old. Not sure if they are mother-daughter or siblings, but they are very close to each other.

laundyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P Punxpunx , not much apart from feeding. They only come and go for food. The older one is much closer to me and always come when I call her name. She will spend some time inside my apartment maybe for a few to 20 minutes and then go outside. That's pretty much it. The younger one is very scared of me because I was trying to catch her last time and she is now almost freak out if I try to close the door when she comes in, so I just leave it open when I feed them.

laundyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've put a box outside at my patio for them to sleep in during wintertime. And I feed them 3 times a day.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t read all the posts but I have skimmed them and I just wanted to add that I have been able to socialize ferals of all ages. Not all become lap cats but all have been very happy to be safe, loved and inside where they are safe. Almost all did become lap cats. Those kitties are very, very lucky to have you! Bravo for caring! :clap2::goldstar: Kitty guardians are kitty heros!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have socialized all the feral cats living in my house. All would be considered semi feral now. Some are more socialized than others. It just takes time and patience. You have to work on cat time not human time. As humans we tend to rush the process and expect progress at lightening speed. If we slow down and work at the cats pace, the rewards will be so wonderful.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've only got a moment, but wanted to chime in. :) Like Jcatbird Jcatbird I've only been able to skim, but I feel you're getting great advice, alot of which I've used over and over!

I love the advice to leave the door open as much as possible at feeding time (you don't have other indoor cats, correct?), trying to move the more cautious guy in bit by bit. Adding extra-enticing (re: smelly) stuff to his food in particular will likely draw him in further (we pretty exclusively use Gerber 2nd Foods Mealtime Baby Food, Chicken & Gravy (you don't want garlic or onion in it - so this is a safe and pretty sure bet palate-wise) or canned mackerel. Neither are a meal - - just an "add on" for enticement. I'd also sit as close as he'll let you (and the other more socialized one too!), talking in a high soft voice. We also use extendable spoons and forks (available from Amazon) to get the enticing mackeral and baby food closer, as you can shorten the spoon/fork as they let you get closer. I think the biggest thing is spending as much time pre-move in SOME way around each as possible (easier said then done - I'm sure you're swamped move-prepping!). I do alot of sitting and reading out loud softly around any we're socializing (even reading my mail - - I've learned to feel a bit less loony reading anything to them!).

As shadowsrescue shadowsrescue says, it takes time, and you have to have the expectation that it will take the time it takes, and not every cat socializes into a lap cat (even socialized cats don't always want to be lap cats! I've had 1 in my entire, cat-filled life - - and she was brought in as a 2-3 year old feral! So much of it is about controlling expectations. I'm so thrilled to hear you're so invested in these guys - it sounds like they owe their life to you!

laundyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks kittychick kittychick . No, I don't have other indoor cats. Indeed, this is my first-time having cats in my life. :) They are my babies and family now.