Moving a semi feral cat

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cole has been with us for three years. We are trying to move in the next year or so. It will not be far but still a few miles away. My two other cats are indoor cats and don't go outside. So no issue. But Cole could be a trick. He lets me pick him up and pet him but will still run when I approach him. He has to come to me. I am not sure how to handle this. I could try to ask if when we sell the home if the new people are up for adopting an out door cat. But I don't want to put much hope in that. I would prefer to take him with us. Anyone deal with this issue?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, please take him with you when you move. If he's a bit skittish it will be really hard to find the right people to take over caring for him when you're gone. If he's been relying on you for food he'll struggle to survive without you.

Has he been neutered? Usually if cats are difficult to handle or feral you have to use a humane trap to catch them. I suggest you start feeding him in a trap a few weeks before you move, so he get's used to going in there.

My cats all started out as outdoor only feral cats, but they're happy to live indoors with enclosure access now. You might be able to make Cole an indoor cat when you move. If not, you will need to keep him either indoors or crated for at least a month after you move. Release him outside any sooner than that and he will try to head back for his old territory and possibly get lost or injured on the way. After a month of being in an new home, getting fed regularly and seeing you every day, he will forget about his old place.

If he hasn't been neutered it would be a good idea to trap him, take him to the vet for surgery and shots, then move him straight to your new place. It will be less traumatic for him that way.

So, hopefully he'll move with you and be happy as an indoor cat, but if he seems really miserable indoors make sure you wait for a month before letting him go outside.

:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He would not be in my care and not be neutered. That is just basic responsibility. I would not leave him behind. I would risk him running away and take him with me first. I could keep him in a cage for a week before we go and in the garage for a while. Thanks for the link I will go over it. I don't think we would break ground on the property for a year so I have time to figure it out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you have a year, start to work with him now and he might be quite a different cat by then. When I moved from one house I was feeding a very feral outdoor cat who lived in the garage in bad weather. The morning we moved, I was able to trap her after feeding her in the trap for a few days first. I brought her to the vet to be spayed, then put her in a kennel since there was some work going on at the new house. She made a huge adjustment and ended up being an indoor cat.