Mouth cleaning?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
even though I have had a cat for 9 months, I feel as if I have so much to learn which are just the basics to others.
So at the risk of asking yet another basic dummy question, I post this:

After eating does your cat make exaggerated mouth/jaw movements? The only thing I can compare it to is a human eating an over stuffed peanut butter sandwich! She only does this with wet food and the grimacing gets more exaggerated every week! In the middle of doing it she looks at a paw and then starts to lick it..almost as if she is trying to get food off her tongue or something, and then resumes the mouth movements. Strange, indeed.
Could she be in pain? She had 2 teeth pulled last year..could food be getting stuck in the holes?
In other words...IS THIS NORMAL?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I think that you are correct. Sounds like kitty has soft food sticking where the teeth are missing . If that is the case perhaps a few hard kibble mixed with soft food could help. You could try to lightly syringe with water after meals and see what happens.
I would have the extraction site inspected by a veterinarian.
even though I have had a cat for 9 months, I feel as if I have so much to learn which are just the basics to others.
~ After 9 long years and a 9 cat family I learn new things all the time ... ! :catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another possibility is that there are other 'bad' teeth that are bothering her. Probably worth having her mouth checked out again.
I dread the thought. Sedation for more dental work at her age and with her health issues is dangerous, yes?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That really all depends on the cat's overall condition. I am not sure what else she has besides CKD, but that by itself may not be an issue. The vet will let you know, and there may be other options for sedation if she would have to have another tooth removed. Hopefully, it is not that.

My cat (18+ yo) who does have moderate tartar and some inflammation along the gum line - which we are not doing anything about - occasionally does that same 'chewing' thing. I notice it less if her wet food has more liquid and/or I add things like Lil Gravies, Lil Shakes, or even bisque to it. I suppose you could try something like this and see if it makes a difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really all depends on the cat's overall condition. I am not sure what else she has besides CKD, but that by itself may not be an issue. The vet will let you know, and there may be other options for sedation if she would have to have another tooth removed. Hopefully, it is not that.

My cat (18+ yo) who does have moderate tartar and some inflammation along the gum line - which we are not doing anything about - occasionally does that same 'chewing' thing. I notice it less if her wet food has more liquid and/or I add things like Lil Gravies, Lil Shakes, or even bisque to it. I suppose you could try something like this and see if it makes a difference.
She does it with churu's, all wet food , but not with anything else like the occaisional original Greenie which she has to chew.
I will mention it at her next visit.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Only time I remember to brush my cats teeth is after reading a thread like this. Then I close my tablet,make dinner,and forget all about it. There are also wipes. Just for future reference