Mother won't leave nesting box

aishastar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi .. i'm new here , nt understanding where to post my problem , i'm writing it here , please don't mind
Not long , a stray cat has come to my house and we used to feed her.Yesterday she gave birth to 4 beautiful kittens.The problem is that the box in which she and her kittens are are dirty but the mother is not willing to leave that box .i have even try to put the kittens in the new box but the mother stayed in the old box so i had to reput the kittens to their mother

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A aishastar

Have you tried putting fresh blankets in the old box for mom and kittens? Perhaps that would help for now. Is the old box big enough?

Do you have the stray cat inside your home now? Where is the nest?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aishastar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes i have put fresh blankets..no the box is in my veranda
Can you give me some tips how to take care of them please

aishastar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she is with them :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring mom and the kittens inside? It's not safe for them outside.

aishastar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes infact the mother brought them inside but put them in a box which is really " mince" thin , it was a tv box so the mother cat was kind of crushing its kitten , then i put them in another box ..did i do the right thing ?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing! Has mom settled in with the kittens in the new box? Thank you for bringing them in!

aishastar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This was the old box

aishastar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes now i think she is comfortable , i have another question , why she is not eating? , she is only drinking milk

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she drinking KMR or milk like cows milk? Cats cannot digest cows milk properly so I would stop giving that to her if that is the case. she might just not want to leave her babies yet... Do you have any canned cat food or canned tuna to offer her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your mama kitty needs dry kitten chow and wet cat food meals. She may not be hungry at the moment if she recently had the kittens and ate all the placentas. She will eat eventually.

Have you put a litter box nearby? Fresh water?

Moms like privacy, so put her in a corner of your bedroom or in a closet where she will be less disturbed by people for the first 3 weeks.

Thank you for taking her in! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

aishastar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay fresh water yes ..but what about the litter box , the mother usually goes outside somewhere to do its litter , what should i put in the litter box ? I google it and found that they put sand in the litter box ? What if i dnt have sand , what can i put instead ? Soil ? Sorry i do not know anything about kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can purchase a bag of cat litter at a store, or you can use dirt.

It's important that mom not go out now. Anything can happen to her and she needs to care for her babies. Cats can also get pregnant again very quickly after delivering a litter. She needs to stay 100% indoors until her kittens wean and she is spayed. [emoji]128522[/emoji]