Mother Cat Wont Leave Kitten To Use Litter Box

Erica faust

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mother cat had her kittens outside 7 days ago unfortunately it took us three days to find them and we only found two of them. One died and momma kittie kept running outside to look for it for about 24 hrs now she has been in the box with the last living kitten and now refuses to leave it at all. She wont even get out to eat or pee at all. She eats if i put food in the box with her. This morning i noticed that her stomach was very large and hard, then later in the day she stood up and peed right in box with the kitten in it. After her stomach felt soft so i believe it was from her holding her bladder so long. Ive tryed taking her out of the box several times and showing her the litter box but she just jumps right back in with the baby. Any suggestion on what to do or why she might be holding her bladder this is not her first litter she has never acted this way in the past

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put her food and litter right next to her nest for easy access. Poor mama kitty! Hopefully she will feel more secure soon.

Do you plan to spay mom? Do not let her outside until after she is spayed even if she goes into heat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you get a bigger box or a large crate and put her litter box in one far end and her food/water in the other far corner? The babies and their mother that I recently dealt with had this arrangement, and mama didn't have to go very far to get/do whatever she needed.

If you set up this type of arrangement, just make sure the litter is non-clumping as that is safer for the kitten being in the same area. Non-clumping is what you want to use when the kitten begins to show interest in the litter box anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erica faust

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your suggestions. Ihave tryed puting the food and litter right next to her box but she still refuses to gwt out of the box so i will try puting it in the box with her and see how that works i will keep you all updated