Mother Cat Hiss/hit Her 4 Week Old Kitten After I Bathed Him.

Gin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, as the tile says, yesterday I took the kitten and bathed him, And I used baby shampoo on him (He is the only one, my cat only gave birth to one kitten), So after I brought him to the room she is in, she started smelling him and then she started hissing at him so quickly took him away, I thought it was because he smells different so I took the towel both of them where sleeping on for days and wiped him with it so the smell will stick to him, after that I tried bringing him to her again, this time she hissed at him again, I did not take him away immediately this time because I wanted to see if she will stop hissing and lick him like she always do, but she then hit him with her paw so I freaked out and pushed her away quickly but lightly, I didn't know what to do so I brought him to may room, fed him and gave him warm place to sleep, so 1 night later which is today, I thought his smell would have changed to his original smell I tried bringing him to her again but this time she wont even smell him, she will immediately lower her body in defensive stance and then run and hide like she is scared of him, I tried leaving him around her for a while but she will keep looking at him cautiously from a distance, Now I'm at a loss, is there a hope in her accepting him again or should I give up and take it as if he is an orphan and take care of him as so? Please share with me ur opinion/advice.

PS: If you are wondering why I washed him its because I thought i will get him used to water so he wont grow up scared of it, and I also had to take 3+ weeks old kittens from the street next to my home because there was construction going around where they where at, their Mom got scared of the noise and ppl and ran away, I took them home bathed them, and toke care of them for 2 weeks till there mom came back to the place she left them ( I kept going there everyday to look for her), when I brought them back to her she recognized them instantly and started licking them(even thought the kittens didnt, and where hissing at her for a while), so that's why I thought it wont be a problem to bathe my current kitten.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try leaving him with her for longer periods, but under your supervision. Continue feeding him in the meantime, of course. Hopefully, the more she is around him she will take him back.

Does mom still have milk?

If she does not take him back it's time to get mom spayed soon. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she does have milk, in those 2 days that she haven't been feeding him her breast are swollen because they are full of milk.

Sadly I live in a 3rd world country and he city I live in doesn't have vets, there is one in the capital (6 hours trip) but many cats die under their hands when being spayed (they aren't exactly experienced even thought they have degrees smh)

For now Ill keep feeding him and letting him stay in the same room as her and see if there is any improvements. Last question, If she start smacking him with her paws, should I take him away immediately or leave him next to her for a little longer, I noticed the previous time she hit him she didn't use her claws so i wonder if she will turn more aggressive if he is next to her for longer?.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope that she would take him back. Leave him for longer to see if she will let him nurse. As long as she is not hurting him it should be okay. Just observe.

Gin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
4 days later, she still won't take him back, she freaks out and hide when ever she sees him, even from far away. I think nursing him myself is the only option, what worries me now is that the kitten wont eat wet food, she will only drink milk or milk mixed with a raw egg and yogurt, I tried mixing milk with the wet food but he will just have a taste of it then stop, and will only drink full when i give him milk or the mix, he is almost 5 weeks now and I'm afraid just milk wont be enough for him, also he dont poop much, just once a day and sometimes he takes longer than that.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may not be old enough to wean. How often are you feeding the milk?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feed him yourself for now until he's ready to eat soft foods. It shouldn't be long.

Try Gerber turkey baby food. See if he will lick it from your finger, then show it to him on a plate if he does.

It's a shame about mama kitty.

Gin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I make sure he drink his full 4-5 times a day, and I also leave some in a plate and change it regular, to make sure he can drink when ever he feels like it.

Gin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ill do just that. and I think the mama cat being 1 year old and this is her first time giving birth would explain the situation.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you keeping mom inside? Are you able to get her spayed after this litter?