Mother Cat Behavior

BJCHarris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a cat that had kittens 5 weeks ago. They are winged and litter box trained. The last few days her behavior has turned vicious. She is attacking the other cats even if they are just laying in the hallway no where near the kittens. She Chase's them and drawing blood. Tonight one was just trying to use the litter box and the cat was attacked. The cats are scared. She attacked my dad and me as well. My husband was attacked the other day when he stepped on the tail of one. She is even scaring my seven year old son. When she attacked the cat using the litter box she scared my son so bad he cried for almost 20 minutes. My mom had to comfort him because she got me and I was trying to stop the bleeding on my leg which made my son cry more. If the mother cat had been doing this when the kittens were first born I would have understood, but they are independent now and don't understand why she is doing this now. When they were born she was ok with the other cats near the kittnes. I am needing advice on what path to take with this mother cat. This is her first litter. Thanks in advance.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's a stressful event that's brought you here. Since the kittens are weaned, I'd call your vet and ask about getting her spayed. She's quite likely in heat and hormonal.

Here's a few TCS articles that may have helpful information:
Cat Aggression Toward People
Re-directed Aggression In Cats
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

Also, please keep an eye on any scratches or bites, and seek medical attention if you suspect infection.
Cat Bites - What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know