Mother Cat Attacking her Kitten

Ningirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a young orange tabby cat who just had her first kitten two weeks ago. My cat is only about 1 and a half years old and a first time momma. She is mostly indoor but was an indoor-outdoor cat. I have noticed that she still likes to go outside but that leaves the kitten on its own. She will sometimes be gone for a while and if she is not let in by sunset she stays outside, by choice. I have noticed recently that she will get riled up and then go lay down with the kitten. When she is hyper and riled up she will hold the kitten with her paws and put the kitten's entire head in her mouth. I have stopped this both times I have seen it because I am worried that she will injure the kitten given that it is so young. Is this something that is just natural for her to do or should I be worried? And will she purposely hurt the kitten?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mother cats do get a bit rough sometimes with their kittens as their way of teaching manners and discipline. It’s good you stopped her as the kitten is too young for such treatment.

Please keep this cat inside only until she is spayed in about 4-6 weeks when her kitten weans. Going out she will easily get pregnant again and may have a huge litter next time. Cats in heat can be gone for days and her kitten needs her.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep momma inside and play with her a ton. It might be her just wanting to play as well. Some young moms can be too much for kittens as they dont understand to be gentle (especially if she was an only cat from a young age).

She can easily be going back into heat at any time if she's not already pregnant. Get her booked to be spayed now as booking seems to be weeks ahead of the time but even longer for the lower-cost vet clinics I've found.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ningirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. We have already booked an appointment for her to get spayed and the kitten to be neutered when he is old enough.