Moo Moo

blm678

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20170524_114748.jpg My daughter's friend gave her a 3 week old kitten 4 days ago. I went to Petsmart and got her a bottle and milk replacement that the worker recommended. I haven't bottle fed a kitten this young in what seems to be forever. There were different nipples with the bottle. we used the long skinny one due to how small she is and how big the other nipples are. She was drinking the milk and she swallowed the 3/4 of the nipple. She was eating 2 table spoons every hour and a half until yesterday. Now she is eating 2 table spoons every 2 to 3 hours. she is urinating and very playful and no signs of anything. However we cannot get her to move her bowels. I just read on this site to mix half water and half plain pumpkin and half water and give it to her 2 or 3 times a day. I had decent income coming in and I just lost some so I cannot afford to go to a vet right now. I am usually good with this type of things. However, I am even starting to worry about her. She is so perfect and beautiful. Her name is Blu because of her eyes but I call her moo moo because she looks like a calf.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is too young for pumpkin. Put a few drops of olive oil into her formula. This should help to soften her stool.

You can also shave off a tiny oiece of an infant glycerin suppository and insert it. After a few minutes it should produce a bowel movement.

You are stimulating the kitten with a warm, damp cloth before and after each feeding, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blm678

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is too young for pumpkin. Put a few drops of olive oil into her formula. This should help to soften her stool.

You can also shave off a tiny oiece of an infant glycerin suppository and insert it. After a few minutes it should produce a bowel movement.

You are stimulating the kitten with a warm, damp cloth before and after each feeding, right?
Yes we are. She hates it but we still manage to get it done and nothing other than urine. I thought she'd be to young for pumpkin and I've never heard of that until tonight. I will try the olive oil and if that doesn't work I will try the infant suppository. Thank you!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, I have had tiny kittens go several days without a bowel movement. My vet explained to me to watch for a very bloated appearance (I have paid for vet visits for naught). Also, I have had the kittens swallow parts of the nipple but thankfully there have been no problems. I try to use the FourPaws nursers with natural rubber nipples. Congratulations on getting MooMoo - she is beautiful!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any updates? I highly recommend watching the webinars at www.maddiesfund.com, especially "critical care of the sick neonatal kitten" and "caring for orphan kittens", which offer valuable insights for anyone, from veterinarians to lay people, who care for kittens.