Month old kitten with bad diarrhea

ofgodsandelves

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I rescued a month old kitten about a week ago after his mom was killed and he was left alone for a few days. I got him warm, fed him kitten formula and his poops were good for the first few days until we had to switch formula brands because it was the only one available. He then got pretty bad diarrhea and his bum is very raw and bleeds a little. I am a teen and broke so I am unable to afford a vet. He started eating wet kitten food and the diarrhea is still present. Is there anything I can do for him? I have been searching for people or places to take him but i haven’t had any luck. Please help!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Diarrhea in a cat this young is much more serious than it would be in an older cat and he does need veterinary care as there can be so many reasons ranging from parasites to diet to digestive disorders to toxic substances he may have found. It could be the switch in the formula but at this point the poor little guy has a raw rear end and is bleeding so complications are setting in.

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

You can try to clean his bottom with a warm, soft cloth and apply some triple antibiotic ointment but not the one with the added pain reliever. However, with a kitten his age and severe diarrhea he needs a vet or the prognosis may be bad.