Monday's Question Of The Day - November 20, 2017

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do like Honeycrisp apples to eat out of hand. The store I shop at started making their apple pies with Honeycrisp apples, that is the only apple pie they have. I tried it and I didn't care for it. I don't think they are tart enough for apple pie.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's okay but it isn't something that I am crazy about. It's one of those things that I won't buy myself but if someone offers me some I will drink it.
Me too! And just like @neely, my DH likes it a lot. So do all our DSs but I'm not sure about our DDs. If I were to have some it would have to be hot, with extra spices, not just out of the carton.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Hot apple cider, but it is funny I don't like cold or apple juice. I can only have a little cup because I watch my sugar. I could drink gallons of it hot, however. Nothing like warm applesauce, also.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Living in AK for over 30 years, with winters that lasted 6 to 7 months/yr, with days only 4 hours long and nights 20 hours long at solstice, I picked up a taste for hot spiced cider, Cider and cinnamon, sometimes with a little clove also. I would drink it at least once a week in the winter evenings, often gazing out the window at the snow.
Since moving to HI, I don't seem to have much of a taste for it any more.

Winter is beginning around here now, morning temps drop down to near 60°F. I even put my fleece pants and vest on for an hour or two until it warms up after the sun rises. But, I do not have my need for hot cider any more. I kinda miss it.
You live in HI? Do you eat malasadas? I want to eat a malasada so badly! I guess it's just a donut without a hole, but still I want an authentic Hawaiian malasada.

I also like apple cider donuts. Do they have apple cider malasadas?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have Hard Cider here in NY, but I've never tried it because it doesn't have much alcohol in it. I should try it sometime though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I do like Angry Orchard hard cider. I guess I didn't think of that when I saw "cider" for some reason. I don't like beer so the hard cider is kind of a good substitute. Good with pizza.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'll try the Angry Orchard hard cider if I can find it. What is the percentage of alcohol in it?

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got back from the grocery store and because of the holiday, there was a big display of apple cider in the refrigerated drink section. Got me to thinking about whether most cider is pasteurized or not.

voyager

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You live in HI? Do you eat malasadas? I want to eat a malasada so badly! I guess it's just a donut without a hole, but still I want an authentic Hawaiian malasada.
Sorry to say I've never tried a malasada.
In fact I had to go find out what one was, so I could answer you.
I have picked up a taste for Portuguese sausage though.
I do not eat pastries any more, well very rarely do I.
30 to 35 years ago I stopped eating anything with refined sugar in it due to health problems.
It has been difficult to stay with, and I do fall off the wagon every once in a while, but not very often and not very long.
I might give one a try the next time I fall off the wagon.

Last edited:

voyager

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Funny you should ask that:
I just found a malasada recipe in this freebie local magazine, Ke Ola on page 29:

November-December 2017

You now have the opportunity to gorge yourself with malasadas at home without having to go to Hawai'i, Portugal, or possibly even Brazil.

EDIT:
After reading the recipe, I'm imagining a custard [or other] filled bar type "donut".

Last edited: