Monday's Question Of The Day - April 30, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the last day of April and according to my forecast; it's the end of spring!?! I'm not ready! I don't even have my peas in the ground yet! But FLOWERS! :bouquet::bliss: I'm ready to go buy out a garden center. :anticipation:

Let's talk about museums today!

When was the last time you visited a museum? What kind of museums do you enjoy?

I took my kids to a Science/Technology museum last week. It was very hands on for kids! We all had a blast and learned about everything from dinosaurs to space to eletricity to coral reefs to pulleys and levers. It was REALLY fun! We also visited a children's museum nearby where they got to do things like turn police lights on, dig in sand for fossils, play pianos, and an old telephone switchboard. Both had nice train exhibits too. Children's museums are way more fun than some grown up ones!

For myself I enjoy exhibits on ancient history, gems and minerals (sometimes fossils), and art but particularly non-modern art. I can appreciate modern art a bit; but I don't actually like it. I don't visit museums often. I think I would enjoy them more if I could go completely alone. I'd enjoy it if I could be left to browse at my own pace undisturbed. Especially for art museums. It seems like many museums have apps for smart phones and tablets so you can get more information on exhibits that way.

We've been to an plane/aircraft museum that was interesting. It's not my cup of tea; but ti is neat to get to peek inside different kinds if aircraft and things like that. I think DH enjoyed that one more.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree about going alone to a museum. It's nice to be able to go at your own pace and spend as much time as you want looking at things. :agree:

I was in Barcelona in February and got to visit the National Art Museum of Catalonia. Our tour group got to go down into the basement storage and work areas so we could see where they store and restore works of art. Such a treat.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to work at the Air & Space Museum at the Smithsonian in Washington, DC. I also lived and worked on Capitol Hill for many years so I went to the Smithsonian fairly frequently. But I moved out to the country to the Shenandoah Valley and have visited some civil war museums and historic homes. I guess the last place I visited is Belle Grove Plantation. Its an historic home now, not quite a museum but has museum pieces and plenty of history there. I went a few weeks ago and will be there again the end of this week. I have a wholesale account there where they buy my handmade soap and sell it in their gift shop so I visit quite frequently.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were at the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in NYC a couple of months ago. I have a membership. We've been trying to take advantage more than we used to. One of both of our favorites around town.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Last year I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan. I went by myself because I do not l like to be rushed. Plus no one I know has the same interest in art as I do.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I last went to the Natural History Museum in LA. It was a sleepover in the museum too so that was fun. We slept under a triceratops. :dancingblackcat:

I like museums and have fond memories of going to different museums. Random ones on road trips, tiny converted school house or large modern facilities. They all have a special feeling. I think that all my museum visits also helped with college level schooling because a lot of the more obscure topics were things I remembered seeing something about so it was more familiar. I also took a college course of museum design, curating and helped design an exhibit.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last was Museum of Science and Industry last month. I met up with a friend and it was super cool.

I enjoy most museums, but especially fun ones like that. Also, there's this one in St Louis that was amazing with a giant slide and things to climb and it was awesome. And I was an adult when I went there though it was probably over ten years ago now.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last museum I went to was when I was on vacation in San Francisco last July. I went to the Exploratorium and then the California Academy of Sciences. I'm not a huge museum person because I'm a hands-on learner, so looking at exhibits isn't that fun to me. Plus with science museums, I've taken a lot of science courses and I read about science topics a lot, so the information at museums isn't as in depth as I'd like it to be.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
About two years ago, we visited a Civil War museum. We stayed there a long time, but still didn't get to see it all. I would like to go back there as I do love history. A person there showed us a rifle that was actually found in that area by loggers in a deep forest. A soldier had propped it up against a tree and left it there. The stock had been repaired, but the gun was still in great shape.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the last museum i went to was The Strong National Museum of Play, in Rochester, NY -- Home | The Strong . i went with my niece and nephew and their mom.

i really enjoyed that museum! :D one of my favorite parts of it is the butterfly room...:cloud9:...they call it 'Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden' -- Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden®. they had the families of Button Quail running around there back when we visited too.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The last museum I went to was the Ackland Art Museum. It's in NC. They have a great collection of holograms. Also works by some lesser known artists and some pieces by William Blake, the poet. I went alone and love spending time in places like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last was Museum of Science and Industry last month. I met up with a friend and it was super cool.

I enjoy most museums, but especially fun ones like that. Also, there's this one in St Louis that was amazing with a giant slide and things to climb and it was awesome. And I was an adult when I went there though it was probably over ten years ago now.
Sounds like I need to plan a trip to St Louis! :lol:

I think one of the neat things about museums is that they can be about any topic under the sun. Or above. :crazy:
I used to work at the Air & Space Museum at the Smithsonian in Washington, DC.
I went there as a kid and LOVED it!! My mother had a friend who lived in Maryland so we visited several museums with her. I don't know how many we made it to though. I remember getting to see a mummy and an exhibit on gems. And also the original ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I went to the Kusama Yayoi museum in Matsumoto about 2 weeks ago. I love going to museums and galleries. I make a special trip to Tokyo twice a year to go and check out the exhibitions.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hofburg Palace in Vienna last June, I went to see the Sisi Exhibit and Imperial Apartments.

I really enjoyed it!

I love museums and I am currently itching to go to one since it has been so long - this month for my Bday I am hoping to go to the Canadian Museum of Nature. Then later a Communist Bunker and Cold war museum. Then of course when my trip to Rome comes around there will be plenty there to see!

Overall I love history museums in general, from the ancients to military and everything in between. For art I like Baroque, Rococo and Renaissance. And science and nature.

Least favourite would be Modern Art, not my thing at all. And I am not interested in pop culture stuff, so something like jacket owned by a celeb rock star or wax figures I absolutely don't care to see.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now the last museum I've gone to is the Nature Museum. Field trips, whoo.