Mommy Problems

ambiebambi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a few cats and all are related in some way. Before I mention my problem, here is a bit of backstory information.
My cat Niagara has had two separate litter of kittens. From those litters, Bailee and Ella survived from the first litter and JoJo survived from the second litter. When Jojo was about two months or so, Niagara moved the entire litter except for her. In time, Ella had somewhat claimed Jojo as her own, even though Ella had never had kittens at this point. Soon, Ella had kittens of her own. Unfortunately, all died expect for one-- my little survivor, Mea Ola.

Now here is my problem. Mea Ola is about five months old now and Jojo is almost a year old. For about two months, I have seen Jojo nursing from Ella, and Ella allows it. But now, I think Ella is pregnant again, and Mea Ola is still nursing and Jojo is nursing Ella as well.

Will their nursing Ella affect her if she is, in fact, pregnant? Will it harm the kittens, or do you think Ella will stop them from nursing before she is too far along?

I have read that momma cat will stop them from nursing when she wants, but Ella is extremely patient and does not like conflict, so I am not sure if she will do anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, mom will stop the nursing. However, having back-to-back pregnancies and nursing on top of beng pregnant is very draining on mom's health.

Why are you not spaying and neutering your cats? We can help you find a low-cost clinic if you give us your city and state.

Please read this link on the health benefits of spaying and neuteting:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats