Momma keeps moving kittens all over

CharleneH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hei, so my cat Fluffy gave birth two days ago, to 6 kittens (First and last litter). I set up a nesting place for her under my desk, and I covered the front with a blanket, But she can not stop moving them in the night times! Its currently 1 am here, and I dont know how to help her destress.

She started with putting them under my bed, I figured it was fine, and put some blankets down under there. But then she would keep moving some here and some there. Right now she is putting them on top of my bed, and digging under my Ass so she can place them underneath me. She also keeps dropping them, and then leaving them where she dropped it. There is No system at all to what she is doing, and she is just on full blown stress mode, please give me some advice on how to get her calmer and stop moving them. I cleaned her first nesting spot well after birth, its hidden under the desk and private, so is the spot under the bed. I dont understand why she is stressing so much right now, and Im getting worried when I see them spread around the bedroom. This day in general they were kept under desk, she didnt move any and had No trouble leaving the nest to go eat, sleep etc.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get an extra large dog crate and confine her in it with her kittens, food, water, and litter. Or try a dark closet with the door open a crack, or an unused bathroom.

If she’s confined to a crate or bathroom, let her out a couple of times a day for breaks.

Most cats will settle down within a couple of days of giving birth as their hormones even out. Let’s hope she does, but confining her for a few days may do the trick. She’s not feeling safe yet for whatever reason.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, along with the great comments above, I'm wondering if she thinks its too cold at night. If you have a heating pad, set it on low with a folded blanket or several towels over it, so the kittens, and she, can move off of it if they get too warm.

Try some low volume classical harp music for her as well.