Momma Cat In Pain While Feeding Her Litter?!!

RosyR1989

MommaCat
Kitten
Purraise
Don't know what to do?. Need advice momma cat cries and bites her kitten while feeding them. She shows that she wants to keep feeding them but then starts meowing in discomfort. The kittens are 2 weeks and a half old. Any advice on what to do to ease her pain anything I can put on her teats or help her so she's not in discomfort?

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do her teats look red or inflamed? It may be mastitis, and she'd need to see the vet for antibiotics for that.

Otherwise they may be getting teeth and biting her, and she just needs to teach them not to bite. 2 1/2 weeks is a little young for that, but they look more developed in the pictures so maybe they're early bloomers. If that's it, don't get involved (unless she stops feeding them, of course); she's just teaching them kitty manners.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RosyR1989

MommaCat
Kitten
Purraise
Tha is for the fast reply! Her teats don't look red but I noticed that they only suck out of her 4 teats. There's 2 that don't get sucked on at all so they fight for the teats and causes them to scratch her and fight for her nipples. I noticed its when they barely try to latch on is when she meows alot and seems very uncomfortable but once she goes back the 2nd or 3rd time and theyve settled down she's able to feed them.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do her teats feel hot to the touch? That can indicate mastitis, even if you can’t see color change. If her glands feel swollen and full, then applying warm compresses should help. If this doesn’t improve it, or you notice that her glands feel hot or she is producing brown or reddish milk, then you need to take her to the vet.

This article has more info: Post-birth Complications In Cats