Momma cat acting strange

Vixen212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey yall! I am new to this site but didn't know where else to turn to get some opinions and maybe some advice. My cat had a very traumatic first birth 13 days ago. It wasnt a planned litter and she will be getting spayed. Sparing the long details, she had 3 kittens. The largest was stillborn. I couldn't do anything to save it and the runt didn't make it despite round the clock care. There is one kitten left who is absolutely thriving. The thing is though momma will not stay with her kitten unless I'm literally sitting right beside wherever she has her kitten. She moves the kitten every single day to new spots when before the runt died she was perfectly happy in her hidden away nesting box. If I need to go into another room such as the kitchen to cook, mom will move her kitten to somewhere as close as possible to me. Gypsy (mom) has become obsessed with me. I'm not sure what breed she is, I'm guessing part Siamese due to her coloring and she's always been extremely vocal and playful. Now though she refuses to leave my side, hisses and growls at my husband, and if I try to walk away from her she chases me down and attacks my legs or tries to jump up and attack my arms or face or whatever she can reach. This isn't being playful either, it's extremely aggressive and so out of character for her. Now if I stop trying to walk away gypsy will stop being aggressive and start purring and rubbing against my legs. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm with her 24/7 and she gets all the attention and play time she could ask for and honestly she probably has more toys than my daughter does so I know this isn't attention seeking behavior or just wanting to play. I was a vet tech for years, I've owned cats all my life, and I've fostered numerous momma's and litters of kittens. This is my first time experiencing this kind of behavior and quite frankly I am dumbfounded. Our vet says gypsy is healthy so it's not an illness, infection or something causing her pain. She adores my daughter and sort of treats my daughter as if she's a kitten (For example if I am not holding daughter Gypsy will try pulling my daughter by the back of her shirt towards the area her kitten is in and is always trying to groom my daughter) What in the world would cause this kind of change in personality? What can I do to deal with this? Please tell me this behavior will change or go away once the kitten is weaned! It's out of control and I'm at a loss here.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess the stress of birth and losing two babies. She is clearly looking for a spot she feels is safe for her last baby. She really needs to be kept in a single room with a few options as a safe nest - a large box with a entry hole, a spot in a closet etc . If doesn’t work and she keeps moving baby then you will need a kennel for her to stay in so she stays with baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vixen212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm sorry if guessing here, but was she able to see and smell both bodies?
Yes, she was able to smell and clean the stillborn baby, Im pretty sure she understood as she took it away from the others and way away from her nest box. I waited until I was confident that she was okay before burying him. The runt was able to cuddle with her all the time unless it was time for his feedings. She was extremely upset when he passed (he just passed away 4 days ago) and seemed like she was depressed. I was heartbroken for her. The first time I tried to take him from her she snatched him out of my hands and took him back to her nesting box but obviously I couldn't let him stay in there too long. That's when all this behavior really started.

Vixen212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would guess the stress of birth and losing two babies. She is clearly looking for a spot she feels is safe for her last baby. She really needs to be kept in a single room with a few options as a safe nest - a large box with a entry hole, a spot in a closet etc . If doesn’t work and she keeps moving baby then you will need a kennel for her to stay in so she stays with baby.
Right now she only has access to my bedroom and living room only because we don't have a door separating the two rooms. (Our house is super small so it's really not a big area) The rest of the house is blocked off and we don't allow our dog or our other cat on this side of the house hoping it would cut down stress for her. I do have a small kennel and a large kennel that will fit right beside my bed but I wasn't sure if that would be the best thing to do. I've found her and the kitten hidden underneath the pillows on my side of the bed several times now so I'm guessing she wants to be close? I hate to confine her to such a small area but at the same time something has to give with this behavior. As of right now I have 3 different boxes set up in various places (the closet, under the desk where she originally gave birth and stayed in that box until the second baby died, and one in the corner of my bedroom that we have covered with a small opening for her so it's hidden). Thank you for the advice, I may end up having to do the kennel to make her stay with the baby.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try some Cat music, I don't know but it might help, Spotify has harp music for cats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It seems to be in reaction to losing the second kitten. She is wanting to make sure you do not take her last kitten or that nothing happens to it. She’s feeling insecure right now, but it’s not good for the kitten to constantly be moved. Using a large crate or carrier may help for now. Clearly she’ll need breaks from it here and there. Hopefully it will help her to calm down soon.

Vixen212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems to be in reaction to losing the second kitten. She is wanting to make sure you do not take her last kitten or that nothing happens to it. She’s feeling insecure right now, but it’s not good for the kitten to constantly be moved. Using a large crate or carrier may help for now. Clearly she’ll need breaks from it here and there. Hopefully it will help her to calm down soon.
Thank you, I ended up setting up the smaller crate up underneath my nightstand- so she's right in between me and the dresser and she knows I'm the only one who ever goes on that side. Once I put her kitten in, she made herself at home and seemed really comfortable. I didn't lock it last night just to see how she would do and I was actually able to get up this morning without being attacked or chased down. Fingers are crossed that I don't actually need to lock her in. She did meow at me until I gave her a bit of attention but ran right back into the crate. Baby step but I'll take it! Here's the baby (we've been calling her butterball cause she just so big and plump haha) in case y'all want to see her!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a darling baby!! 💖😻

Be sure and keep weighing it so you can catch anything that might need extra attention, but I'm thinking/hoping you're all out of the woods 🤞👍