Missing My Baby

skiptomylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a long time lurker but infrequent poster. I lost my beloved Gizmo on October 24th, 2023. I've been wanting to post a memorial to her for a long time but just couldn't. She got sick suddenly on July 2nd 2023. That night she ate her bedtime meal but only half, which is odd, then went upstairs and immediately under the bed where she would stay until I had to force her out the next afternoon to take her to the emergency vet. She wasn't admitted then but she was two days later when the first treatment wasn't working.

She was diagnosed with pancreatitis and was hospitalized for 5 days. A tube feed was inserted as it had been many days by that point that she had not eaten anything. She took to it well and improved quickly and she was sent home with instructions which I followed to a tee. When a few months went by and she still wasn't regaining her appetite without the help of appetite stimulants and we were still mostly relying on tube feed I knew something else was going on. I made a post about balancing appetite stimulant and pain control medication on this site and received many helpful suggestions so thank you for that.

Overall she had 3 ultrasounds, pulled the tube feed out twice, and had many many checks and day long stays at the original emergency hospital that diagnosed her. Towards the last 2 weeks of her life she developed upper respiratory symptoms completely out of the blue. She was sneezy when she never was before and bad swelling developed behind one eye socket. Vets didn't know what was going on. She was treated in the standard way for upper respiratory symptoms...with antibiotics.

Then the neurological signs started. On October 24th she went downhill quickly and I had already decided she had had enough of vets. If she was going to pass she was going to do it at home, surrounded by people who loved her. My poor 12 year old girl lost her ability to walk and her ability to stand then eventually her ability to breathe. I was desperate to know how a case of pancreatitis could lead to this and in such a bizarre way. I didn't have to research long to figure out she developed dry form FIP. She had every single symptom, up to and including the eye socket swelling, the sneezing, extreme lethargy, sudden excessive drinking, then eventually the ataxia where she was very wobbly on her feet and had trouble walking.

I have felt extreme guilt since her death that maybe my efforts to get her better is what caused the FIP. Too many medications. Too many trips to the vet. I should have listened to her when she pulled the feeding tube out twice, even though I did give her a week to start eating enough on her own before I begrudgingly decided to have it re-inserted. I shouldn't have taken her back repeatedly for a 45 minute drive each way and day long stays and ultrasounds to have it re-inserted. The emergency hospital is loud and busy and she is blind and used to being in a quiet house. I can't imagine the stress she was under. I know FIP is extremely difficult to diagnose and is also pretty much always fatal (especially the dry neurological form) so I don't blame the vets. They were nothing but helpful through the whole process.

I have two other cats but Gizmo has been blind since birth and was extremely attached to me, as I was to her. I never imagined my life without her in it. My youngest cat Quey, who only knew her for 2 years, put her favorite toy in the spot on the carpet where she passed about a week afterwards and it is still there to this day. He and my other cat will play with the toy and rub on it (catnip toy) and fling it around but it always remains in that spot. I never feel her here, somehow, but I can't help but wonder if she doesn't come visit and he wants to make sure she can find her favorite toy.

I hope one day I can forgive myself for possibly trying too hard to get her better. She was such an up and down roller coaster for 3 months that as soon as I thought she had had enough she would rebound. I hope I never have to watch another cat die from FIP ever again. It is awful. I miss her every day and all the time. She was the sweetest gentlest softest baby and she didn't deserve any of it. I also need to forgive myself. Pictures attached of my beautiful girl in better times.

IMG_4201.jpeg
65422781644__951388B4-72D3-42AF-94C9-DF14FF04C0E0.jpeg
IMG_4417.JPG

Oreo1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She sounds so special, and I am so very sorry for your loss. You did what any loving cat parent would, you fought for her life. That is admirable. She is at peace now.

Thank you for sharing photos, I can tell from the pics she was soft! How precious.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Gizmo, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a lovely girl she was, is, and always will be! I want to try to set your mind to rest on one thing...NOTHING you did or did not do caused the FIP. It is caused by one of the coronaviruses, and is often passed from mother to kitten. Sometimes a cat can carry the virus all of its life, but it never causes FIP. THIS, however, is the Deepest Truth I know...that love never dies. It is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Gizmo, in her home in That Place Where All Things are known, blesses you for your love and care, and she sends her Love back to you, to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember reading about her, she is such a beautiful soul, and you two were so lucky to have found each other. You gave gave her what she wanted most in life, a home and a loving family. What she gave you is something we earn, a cat's love. That connection will always be with you. She will continue to send her love, and you will too, "Death cannot take that which never dies".
She sounds so gentle, so loving, so accepting of everything even though life dealt her such a bad hand. Don't feel guilt for letting her die on her own terms, for giving her some dignity. there comes a time when nothing will help. You have to have intent to have guilt, and your intent was nothing but love and concern for her. You did so much, so much more than most, but sometimes it is still not enough.
My heart cries for your pain. We suffer just as hard as we love, but try to remember it is worth it in the end, you will feel it in the coming years, the gratitude, the evergrowing love you will always feel for her. She was such a special girl, such a huge part of your life. It takes time, and a lot of it, to come to terms with her death, to heal that huge hole in your heart. She will always have a place in your soul and your memories. In this way she goes on. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers, you will be blessed for your part in letting her know what love is.......RIP precious Gizmo.You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!