Missing Kitten

B2hansji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.. i hope someone can help me out coz i am losing my mind.
My Cat gave birth 2 weeks ago. 3 Babies. All healthy. She has been moving the kittens around the house a lot.
This morning 1 went missing. The eldest one.
Its night time how and Mother cat is least bothered.
All the doors were closed so m pretty sure she had not gone out. but i cant find the cat anywhere? Do mother cats kill their babies or eat them or something??
I am worried sick.... i dont know what to do...
🙁

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a rather strange occurrence. At the very least, you should be hearing the kitten mewing. Moving kittens from the birthing nest to a new spot is normal but constant moving can be a sign that the mama cat needs:
1. A GOOD NEST IN A SAFE, QUIET LOCATION: A box with holes cut out to make a little "cave" located in a quiet room or blankets/towels in a dark closet are good. If your area has fleas, monitor the nest for infestation. The ambient temperature in the nest itself needs to be in the low 90s at this time of the kittens' lives (nestled together in their mother's fur is vital unless there is an external heat source that allows them to move away to avoid overheating).

2. PRIVACY/STRESS FREE AREA: the mother needs peace and quiet so that she can relax and nurse her babies If there are little children in the home, make sure that they do not disturb the little family. Overhandling of kittens, especially neonates, can be fatal (this doesn't include weighing them daily nor the routine handling necessary for bottle-raising orphans), Also, Be especially alert to other pets in the home - the mother cat may perceive them as predators, even if she normally trusts them.

3. FOOD & WATER: Kitten formulations are excellent for nursing mother cats. Hypocalcemia (lack of calcium) is a big threat to mother cats. Plenty of fresh, clean water available at all times is also very important.

4. PLAY & NUTURING: Mother cats in the wild have to hunt to eat in order to make milk. Thus, they enjoy the mental and physical stimulation of teaser toys and other play. Grooming their fur and basic cuddling are often appreciated.

4.: DAILY HEALTH MONITORING: Mother cats get many of the same issues that human mothers get; sore nipples, lack of calcium, uterine issues, etc. Restlessness, lack of appetite, hard nipples, lethargy, vaginal discharge - these are things to keep an eye out for, in addition to obvious signs of illness such as fever, vomiting, stiff limbs, etc.

I hope that you find the baby soon! Cannibalization usually occurs in the first few days and is rare. While it can indicate that the newborn was doomed, it is also caused by excessive stress/fear. Foster cats sometimes do this if the foster home is new to them and other residents (kids, pets) keep disturbing them. Please keep us updated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The mama should be kept with her babies in one room with her food, water, and litter and not able to access the rest of the house, and should definitely NOT be allowed outside until the kittens are weaned and mom is SPAYED.

Have you located the missing kitten yet? I sure hope you find it.

Please keep us posted and keep mom and babies to one enclosed room.