Missing fur

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of Oliver's fur is missing from his mane. However, whilst I was at work Mrs boosh reported that he'd had a disagreement with Betty and that she had been pawing him. There wasn't an obvious pile of fur anywhere though.
What do you think? I hope it was Betty and not some medical issue.

IMG_1330.JPG
IMG_1326.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1328.JPG
IMG_1329.JPG

This is what it should look like .

IMG_2007.JPG

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mightyboosh mightyboosh good on ya' for being an attentive daddy to His Olliness . . . :catrub:

I'm not a vet, but it doesn't look like there's any skin problems. I'd keep an eye and see if there's any obvious distress, like excessive scratching, or if marks or discolorations appear.

Hmm. I've never had cats scratch out tufts or clumps of other cats' hair.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It doesn’t look to me like something Betty did. I would think you’d see grazing of the skin in addition to the missing fur if she had done it. Have you noticed him licking there a lot? From the pics, it looks like he might be overgrooming.

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww big hug to Oliver Boosh! Could it be over grooming? My Grayson over grooms a lot. Sometimes his back legs are almost bald 😿
The vet said stress related and that’s down to an over population of cats on our street.
Thank goodness we have the main road separating us or your tribe would make it even busier 😽
Say hi to Betty for us, we’ve not been on a walk past for a while now the cold weather is upon us.

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think you're right. Now I think about it, I have mentioned to Mrs boosh in the past that he grooms a bit too much.
What's the remedy for that? :dunno:
We have tried everything and I mean everything! From cat calming plug ins to herbal remedies. And not had much joy. He’s just that kind of cat. If the window cleaner comes he’s under the bed all day. Same on bin collection day. Frightened of his own shadow bless him. It seems to come in episodes tho so it’s not a constant. Hopefully it’s just a phase with Oliver bless him 😽

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
What's the remedy for that?
As Grayson’s Mummy Julia Grayson’s Mummy Julia says, that’s a tough one. One of my girls, Lily, obsessively licks the end of her tail. In her case, I think it’s anxiety. She’s 16 now, and I first noticed it when she was eight or so. She just became increasingly nervous about the least change in her environment. I’ve also tried Feliway plug-ins and herbal solutions without much success. I’m currently giving her CBD for arthritis, and interestingly, that seems to have helped her anxiety a bit. Also, we moved a year ago, and she seems more comfortable in the new place. Perhaps it’s because it’s all on one floor; she never liked going downstairs to use the litter box in the old place.

I try to spend more time with Lily, giving her lots of attention. One of her favorite things is to be gently brushed. It really seems to calm her down.

It could also be allergies. Hard to tell from the photos, but it looked like there might be a slight mottling of the skin, suggesting he scratched a bit at his neck. That wouldn’t explain the hair loss, though; there’s not enough damage.

I’d keep a close eye on his behavior over the next few days. A visit to the vet might be in order if the problem persists.

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As Grayson’s Mummy Julia Grayson’s Mummy Julia says, that’s a tough one. One of my girls, Lily, obsessively licks the end of her tail. In her case, I think it’s anxiety. She’s 16 now, and I first noticed it when she was eight or so. She just became increasingly nervous about the least change in her environment. I’ve also tried Feliway plug-ins and herbal solutions without much success. I’m currently giving her CBD for arthritis, and interestingly, that seems to have helped her anxiety a bit. Also, we moved a year ago, and she seems more comfortable in the new place. Perhaps it’s because it’s all on one floor; she never liked going downstairs to use the litter box in the old place.

I try to spend more time with Lily, giving her lots of attention. One of her favorite things is to be gently brushed. It really seems to calm her down.

It could also be allergies. Hard to tell from the photos, but it looked like there might be a slight mottling of the skin, suggesting he scratched a bit at his neck. That wouldn’t explain the hair loss, though; there’s not enough damage.

I’d keep a close eye on his behavior over the next few days. A visit to the vet might be in order if the problem persists.
Aww bless Lilly. I think cats with these little quirks are only sent to v special humans who can look after them. I treat my Grayson the same as my Daughter, truly like a child. I quite often say I have a boy and a girl 😽❤

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes other issues can cause fur loss.

Der Baron von Komfy (aka The Rabbi) has a real problem with flea allergies, and, if bitten he'd shed hair and get bare spots, usually by his tail and back legs. That required treatment with steroids, and assiduous follow up with flea killer.

Oliver doesn't appear to have that kind of a problem, but if it persists, perhaps a visit to the vet might be in order.

baron von komfy.jpg