Misinformation Uh..oh

ConnieR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A deworming product was recommended for my nursing cat.. After the job was done and her discomfort began... the runny stuff, I looked at the box and saw it was NOT recommended for nursing cats. Kittens are 5 weeks old and weaning, but I want to know what to look for if there are problems because of the dewormer. Should I try not to let Mom nurse for a couple of days?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What product was it? Does it say what age it's safe for on the label? Since the kittens are old enough for most de-wormers, I think it should be fine for them. If they were younger it might be a problem, but since they're older it shouldn't matter whether they get the de-wormer directly or from their mother's milk. But yeah, call your vet, that's the best way. And calling is usually free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ConnieR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't currently have a vet since mama cat is still relatively new to the family. She was due for shots in January. Plan was to get her spayed at that time. She pulled an escape mid-Dec.... hence the kittens. I was just so happy she came back home that it didn't matter that she came back knocked up! I did hear back from a friend who asked her vet though. We're all good. Thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not sure its that bad. Most brands even the safe ones, do warn, to protect their reputation and guard against law suits.
They perhaps dont want make extensive tests on high pregs by ethical reasons...

Its really the unsafe brands whom always should be avoided. Hartz has some of such a bad reputation. And I think Sargeant in Great Britain.