Mirtazapine side effects

Dalice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My CKD kitty gets Mirtazapine periodically to help his appetite. He has the usual restlessness and vocalization the first day then he sleeps a lot afterwards. Is this increased sleeping also a side effect? Poor guy barely sleeps for a day after the pill.
The first few hours he is eating quite a bit then decreases. I don't want him to get sick from stuffing himself either.
Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think what you are describing is not uncommon, particularly in cases where the dosage is too high. It is always better to err on the side of caution and give the minimal dose to start with - and, then adjust accordingly. I have known folks who take the lowest dosage tablet (7.5 mg) and split them at least into two, and in many cases 4 parts (equaling about 1.875 mg per dose).

You might want to consider the transdermal form (applied to the ear) as an alternative and see if that reduces the side effects - it too can be given in a smaller amount than the standard recommended amount if need be.
Mirtazapine For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects - All About Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dalice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used the transdermal Mirataz but was unaware I could use less than the stip on the side of the box. Good to know!
I discontinued using it because my cat is a Ragdoll and it was matting the corner flufs of his ear.

The pill form is a 15mg pill cut into 1/4 pieces. As you know, it's next to impossible to 1/4 pills evenly, even with my pill cutter. I think some of the quarters are a bit larger so next time I will use the smallest of pieces.

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You do need to clean the ears in between applications. I simply use make up pads, or anything similar, moistened with some water. With a 15 mg pill that would have to be split into 8 pieces - nearly impossible!! See if you can get the 7.5 mg ones to split into 4 parts, or go back to the transdermal. With Feeby, I use 1/2 strip of it and only give it to her every other day.

Dalice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he's been getting too large a dose. They told me to 1/4 the 15mg pills. My cat weights 14.6 #.

Thank you for the tips!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I were you, I would talk to the Veterinarian about reducing the dose in half and see if that helps. Also, you aren't giving it every day, are you? With the eating allot all at once, you have to watch them to make sure they don't gorge on to much food and vomit.

Dalice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I were you, I would talk to the Veterinarian about reducing the dose in half and see if that helps. Also, you aren't giving it every day, are you? With the eating allot all at once, you have to watch them to make sure they don't gorge on to much food and vomit.

I actually only give it once every 5 days.

Thank you, I will ask my vet about reducing the dosage. QUOTE]