Miritaz Daily?

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever used transdermal Miritaz on a daily basis? I have been using it every 2-3 days for my CKD kitty. I just wonder if using it daily would cause it to become ineffectual. He has lost some weight and eats so much better on the days we use it.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have temporarily on Gracie who has CKD. I used the amount the vet said then decreased it as she got to a good weight for her and she was eating a normal amount. The vet never said to do less than daily, but I now give it every other day and she’s maintaining well. If it needed to be daily I’d do that, but would check with the vet first.
It’s really worked for her.
In reading about it haven’t read that it loses its effect.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would check with the vet first, but so many cats take it daily, I doubt he/she will have an issue with it.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally I was giving Mogi, my senior cat, Miritaz on a daily basis but now only every 2 or 3 days. She had no other health issues - just poor condition and weight loss. She gained weight quickly on Mirataz which was the object of the exercise but I did not want an overweight cat! The advantage of not giving it every day is that her ears stay clean. I will be taking her for another check-up shortly but, as Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 said, a daily dose seems to be the norm for many cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot of CKD cats end up getting it daily. But I have read many posts on the CKD forum where it does seem to lose effectiveness over time. Ideally, it would take longer when it is being used less frequently, but I don't know that for a fact. I think the same is true of the oral form - Mirtazapine - but have not read as many posts about it happening as often. The big thing with Mirataz is keeping the ears clean - there is a residual from the ointment than can accumulate in the ears, and that apparently can render the treatments less effective.

The sad part is that I have recently also read (not on the CKD forum) that this med really isn't intended for long term use - so, I am not sure what people with CKD cats would do instead in that case. I have yet to ask about this aspect on the CKD forum, but I might just to see what they say.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of CKD cats end up getting it daily. But I have read many posts on the CKD forum where it does seem to lose effectiveness over time. Ideally, it would take longer when it is being used less frequently, but I don't know that for a fact. I think the same is true of the oral form - Mirtazapine - but have not read as many posts about it happening as often. The big thing with Mirataz is keeping the ears clean - there is a residual from the ointment than can accumulate in the ears, and that apparently can render the treatments less effective.

The sad part is that I have recently also read (not on the CKD forum) that this med really isn't intended for long term use - so, I am not sure what people with CKD cats would do instead in that case. I have yet to ask about this aspect on the CKD forum, but I might just to see what they say.
I'd be curious to know about long term. Because I gave it to Gracie per vet instructions then when she was eating well and had gotten to a good weight we tapered it down, then after a week or so without it she stopped eating.
So restarted it. I'll ask Tuesday at my other cat's appt. about long term, permanent use, I hadn't asked about that yet. Because without it I don't know it she'd survive!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. I do keep Purrcy’s ears clean and switch ears each time. I didn’t give it to him today and he didn’t eat much tonight. So frustrating.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Had the vet appt. today and per my vet it can be used long term and for the rest of a cat's life. She hasn't really seen much of it becoming less effective over time but it might happen sometimes.
She said it can be every day but it's good once the kitty is eating well and has been for a bit to try and do every other day, least amount needed. That's just my vet- need to check with your vet about that.
Gracie is doing well on it every other day.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 . Thanks! Good information. Glad Gracie is still doing OK on it. I keep wondering about Feeby, but when I try to go more than every third day, there is a definite drop in her caloric intake. I think I just need to make sure her ears are cleaned out well enough.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 . Thanks! Good information. Glad Gracie is still doing OK on it. I keep wondering about Feeby, but when I try to go more than every third day, there is a definite drop in her caloric intake. I think I just need to make sure her ears are cleaned out well enough.
Yeah Gracie's ears get gunky! She's cooperative though with cleaning them out.
And every third day isn't enough for Gracie, every other seems to be the sweet spot.