Minor Hair Thinning/loss

ATLhooligan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 6 or 7 year old black and grey normal cat, I'm not sure what kind he is so if you know that and can let me know that too I'd appreciate it.

But anyway, he has always been indoor/outdoor cat, well trained, loves being out in the hot Georgia weather. Gets in a few scuffles every year but generally gets along with neighborhood cats and holds his territory well with no fear. I often find him dead asleep in a planter, or spread eagle in the middle of the driveway, or under our Japanese Maple tree just chillen. Again I digress.

I have notice that he has been itching and scratching himself a lot more lately, so we thought of fleas naturally and gave him a dose of the stuff on his neck. I just now also noticed some minor hair loss on both sides of his body. It doesnt seem that serious, but is definately thinning in two patches. See attached for a bunch of photos.

Is this him just getting middle aged? Or does the itching and scratching along with hair loss all have something else behind it? Or can hair loss be caused by fleas? In which case we just treated him so he will be fine? I don't ever see him itching or scratching those two areas so I do not think this is self initiated hairloss like you see parrots and dogs sometimes do, in fact I've never seen him in that area of his body.

Anything will help.

Thanks all, his name is Java btw, he was the runt but became the king, his brother was named Soco but got hit by a car and passed, he was a wild man. Java is super chill, wanders a little but hangs around. I can literally call for him and he shows up 5 mins later like a dog, people find it amazing and hilarious...

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think that that much thinning is due to his age. Hekkity is a good bit older, and still has a full coat (so far). He could be in the very early stages of ringworm, or he might have gotten into something that was an irritant, or he could have developed a severe flea allergy (if Hek gets fleas, she goes bald in a couple of weeks...I STAY on top of fleas!), or even some sort of food allergies. IF you can wrangle him into a carrier, I would really suggest having a vet take a look at this. If it is ringworm, or mange, even, it will be manageable with medication.