Milos not happy!

GMuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all at TCS,

Milo is just over a year old, the most active cat I've ever owned, a tree climber, and the scourge of the local wildlife. However, for being such an outdoor cat, and in a neighbourhood known for strays the Vet (who lives in the same neighbourhood) advised a Nobivac Felv vaccine. I agreed and last Friday Milo received a chip and vaccine in the neck area (I didnt research until after about where it should have been injected but it's done now)

Anyway, it's been a week, and a hard week for Milo, he suffered from lethargy, clear joint discomfort and slept 24/7. If we tried to interact with him he growled and moved away slowly. He also gained a small 1cm pea-like lump at the site (which appears after a week to be getting smaller slowly and less inflamed).

Concerned we took him back to the vet, who was surprised at such a reaction. He examined Milo, no pain in the limps with full movement, only a slight reaction in the middle of his spine. No temperature, eyes clear, eating well, and toileting normally too. We now have an antiinflammatory and painkiller for him for 5 days.

So, I suppose my question is, has anyone else experienced the same, the physical symptoms and personality changes, even now he isn't the Milo we know.

Thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I'm glad he received that vaccine, my cats have leukemia and it's been a long, rough road. But they are still alive 4 yeras later! I had one cat that reacted to teh vaccines, he became quite lethargic and refused to eat for a few days, he also developed a fever. I know several people on here said Benedryl given 30 minutes before the shots wouldn't help, but it sure helped him. After they started to give him Benadryl, no more reactions with the same vaccinations! i don't know if FeLV is a live vaccination, but those gave him the most trouble. I wish EVERYONE would vaccinate their cats against this if they go outdoors at all, my little ones lived when distemper swept through too and MANY cats died in my neighborhood, especially the ferals. Both distemper and leukemia are almost always fatal to very young cats, some older ones can fight it off.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GMuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your little ones... I was first keen on giving it, doubted myself after he was ill, then heard a Vet say he sees a hell of a lot more Leukemia cases, than severe reactions to vaccines. The benefits outweigh the risks, especially for a cat who roams and mixes with ferals.

Just hope to see my Milo back to himself over the next few days or week.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What is the anti- inflammatory and the pain meds?
There are safer vaccines to use. The purevax is a good one. Sorry to say I would consider another vet. The vaccine placement protocol has been since 1996.

GMuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The pain med is called Meloxidyl 0.5mg.

Sadly after research I found out too late, the vaccine and injection site. I just have to hope all is well in the future.

GMuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's both pain relief and anti-inflammatory.