Milk needed for new born kittens urgently. Please advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! It could be that the kitten with breathing problems had aspirated some of the formula and would need a gentle antibiotic such as amoxicillin but the vet is the best judge of that. After bottle feeding, kittens need to be burped, just like a human baby. You can try gently rubbing upwards on their shoulder blades and holding them on your shoulder & lightly move them up and down. A few drops of infant's simethicone gas drops can be added to their bottle.
I have posted another thread. I elaborated much about his health condition there. Can you please look at it? And also how should I post the video here? It is not supporting MP4 files.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kitten sounds like it needs antibiotics for a respiratory infection. Do get it to the vet ASAP.

Only use Petlac formula.

Keep us updated!
Should I ask the vet to take him an XRay?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For now, rubbing a tiny amount of white karo corn syrup or pasteurized honey may give your tiny one some extra calorie support while keeping up his blood sugar levels. The KMR supplements should have given it all the nutrition that it needs. His mother's milk is the best thing for him provided that she is producing enough milk for them both, considering her medical emergency during the birth. I am attaching a video from Purdue University that is 1 hour long but you can pause it whenever you like (I use YouTube to watch it). Although it is designed for continuing education credits for veterinary professionals, the instructors include a lot of valuable information for regular "civilian" kitten rescuers such as ourselves.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the mother complete a course of antibiotics before being allowed to feed them? With her being unwell she may have passed infection on, not all medications are suitable for nursing cats either so if she’s on AB’s make sure they’re safe.
Could also be aspiration pneumonia, were the lungs cleared at birth?

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the mother complete a course of antibiotics before being allowed to feed them? With her being unwell she may have passed infection on, not all medications are suitable for nursing cats either so if she’s on AB’s make sure they’re safe.
Could also be aspiration pneumonia, were the lungs cleared at birth?
Yea I gave her antibiotics for 5 days.

I didn't do anything after they were born. How should I clear their lungs? I am patting them gently after they were fed. That's it! Now can I do anything?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am currently feeding them PetLac only. But Kittens didn't like Petlac. They liked hartz milk though. So I had to force them a little. I am scared that I might hurt them. Is it ok to give them the antibiotics at this age? I think the vet won't agree to give them. If it is constipation or gas what should I do?
We usually dont recommend Hartz milk; it seems they have an uneven quality control.
That said, I have found forumites quite happy with Hartz milk. If you dont have anything better AND working, try with Hartz...

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you indicate that the one baby is showing respiratory distress, what exactly are the symptoms? Do you hear wheezing or rattles in the lungs?
I do not hear any sounds. He is just breathing heavily.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you indicate that the one baby is showing respiratory distress, what exactly are the symptoms? Do you hear wheezing or rattles in the lungs?
He is taking 60 breaths per minute. Please click this link to watch the video
VID20211227174650

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens this small can have antibiotics if they need them, and if the kitten having breathing problems has aspirated milk into its lungs, it will need them to clear its lungs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your kitten needs to see a vet. This looks like possible labored breathing. A cortisone shot may be appropriate as well if the lungs are not clear.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think your kitten needs to see a vet. This looks like possible labored breathing. A cortisone shot may be appropriate as well if the lungs are not clear.
Does nebulizer helps?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We usually don't recommend Hartz milk; it seems they have an uneven quality control.
The problem with Hartz is that it is a zombie company.

The company was started back in the 1930s. Back then, Hartz was a good company that sold good products. It was run by the family of the original founder for more than fifty years. Some time in the 1990s (more or less) the company was sold off to an investment firm that dismantled it and sold off its assets for profit. They sold off the "Hartz" name to some other company which was ultimately bought out by a fourth company.

Today, the Hartz Mountain Corporation's main business is real estate investment and Hartz pet products is literally just a name that gets slapped onto packages. There is no set factory that makes Hartz pet products. It's just whatever factory whose owners submitted the best bid for the contract. The next time around, some other factory will get the contract...and so on...

When you buy Hartz products, you're not really buying from a company, at all. You're just buying a name that got slapped on a package.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise

The company was started back in the 1930s. Back then, Hartz was a good company that sold good products. It was run by the family of the original founder for more than fifty years. Some time in the 1990s (more or less) the company was sold off to an investment firm that dismantled it and sold off its assets for profit. They sold off the "Hartz" name to some other company which was ultimately bought out by a fourth company.

Today, the Hartz Mountain Corporation's main business is real estate investment and Hartz pet products is literally just a name that gets slapped onto packages. There is no set factory that makes Hartz pet products. It's just whatever factory whose owners submitted the best bid for the contract. The next time around, some other factory will get the contract...and so on...

When you buy Hartz products, you're not really buying from a company, at all. You're just buying a name that got slapped on a package.
Thanks for the info.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Ah, thanks. This explains beautifully my hypothesis of their uneven quality control... Which it is, very literally. Sometimes the product is OK sometimes its NOT.