Mildly Regretting Letting Cat Outside With Harness...help?

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I decided that because it is so nice outside I want to leash train my cat to see if she can handle it. I live in a neighborhood where we aren’t allowed to let cats roam and on top of that I wouldn’t want her to get hit by a car.

Leash training has been not too bad.
She will begrudgingly take the harness, but once she’s in the yard she doesn’t mind the harness and seems to calmly be exploring the yard albeit still a bit cautiously due to all the new noise and such.

However I ran into a few problems.

1. She really hates going back inside.
As of now it is not too bad but she will become mildly angry and it takes time to put her into a box and carry her back in.
I think knowing her stubborn side she might throw a tantrum and maybe even eventually make it harder.
Once she’s inside I distract her with play and she calms down.

2. She meows incessantly at the door at certain times of the day whining to be let out. I try to distract her with play.

3. She just now ran out the door when I opened it. Which is something she never did before...thankfully she stopped right at the yard because it was raining but if she bolts even a bit further into the street it would be dangerous.

I mildly regret introducing her to the outdoors. I thought if we had sufficient time on the harness she would be satisfied but I think instead I awakened her natural instinct to explore further.

We aren’t allowed to have fences and I am now confused as to what I should do...

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a toughy.
At this point the outdoors are stimulating many things in her. Cat did not evolve to be cooped up, after all.
I would make it a habit to take her out (just as you have) but twice a day, always at the same time, and be consistent. I think she will adjust to this regime and even look forward to it, knowing she can count on it. That's a guess, not from experience. Our cats were always indoor/outdoor during the day and in at night or in bad weather. We now have a young one that is still fully indoors. But I asked another cat person who lives nearby about your dilemma, as she walks her one cat every day on a leash. I have no experience with leashed cats.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too have the same problem :( I thought it would be great to take Stella out but a lot of ignorant people ( I won't name names:eviltongue:) walk their tiny aggressive dogs without a leash around the apartment complex and there have been times they have rushed at Stella. This lady is adamant that her dogs wouldn't hurt Stella but their behavior is unacceptable so I decided to just not do the walks anymore since she can't seem to understand that the grounds are not just for her dogs but everyone else too...She does get whiny, but I try to take those times to play with her and get her super tuckered out..usually one of two big play sessions and cuddles solve it...and I keep promising her that once we have our own house and not an apartment she will be allowed to go in the backyard...I am planning to cat proof the fence lol...one thing I can suggest possibly is a catio??? they have some pretty nice ones online and it gives the cat a chance to be outdoors but not escape or get hurt

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try giving her wet food when you are done walking her? If you do it the same time every day she might be more agreeable. I would set a timer on my phone that goes off at the same time every day with a special noise just for inside. Then I would say inside, pick up my cat, walk inside, take the harness off and then feed my cat. Same sequence of events every day. In time your kitty will learn alarm = go inside, get food. Also they sell tons of window catio that you can use in apartmentents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of your inputs!
I actually ended up not taking her outside anymore since it just seemed to create a bit more stress than both of us needed, and she hasn't begged to go out nor does she show much interest anymore either. I think the last I took her out was near mid May and she has not meowed at the door since. I think she prefers to just sit by the window anyways since being outside there is too much going on. I guess not all cats can be harness cats! I just play with her indoors and she is very content with that.

I hope I can get a nice catio for her one day, though!
Again, thank you!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
If all you want to do is give her some more enrichment, that can be done inside. All pet stores have cat trees and condos ranging from one platform to a playground. It looks like there is something outside she loves that you don't have inside. Does she just like running on grass, feeling fresh air, etc. or is it a tangible object you can take in with her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Daisy6!

I think she likes being in new places she hasn't explored. She'll walk around slowly and sniff. Even inside, when she finds a space she hasn't been in she will find a way to get in and look around every crevasse. She has a lot of play time inside, though, but I think she is just a curious cat that likes the idea of more space and something new. Thanks for your input as it made me think a bit more deeply of what she may want.

But yes, a cat tree sounds nice. I have been meaning to get her one! Thanks for the suggestion!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
You will be amazed by the variety in sizes and styles if you look on Amazon.

What is your cat's name?