Metronidazole liquid form dosage?

Jietia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My 14lbs cat has a bad case of diarrhea. He was prescribed the liquid form since it is impossible for me to administer the tablet. I cannot find anywhere online the recommended dosage of the liquid form, only the pill form. I am afraid of overdosing him because I read the side effects (seizures...). He is to be given 1ml 2x a day for 2 weeks. The bottle concentration is 100mg/ml. He appears to be fine after taking it, but the side effects happen after long term use. Has anyone had similar posology?

Thank you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am assuming that your vet gave you the prescription; however, you were not give a syringe with a mark on it to indicate how much per dose? Even if you were not, they are readily available and the vet should clarify the dosage for you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a question for your vet. Can you call and ask for clarification and discuss any concerns you have? Do you have a syringe with markings and are measuring the dose correctly? The dose the vet prescribed (1 ml twice a day for 2 weeks) is based on your cat's weight.

Have you tried Pill Pockets or other method previously to get pills into the cat somewhat easily? Liquid metrondiazole (aka Flagyl) is nasty tasting to cats and is no easier to give than pills.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jietia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was given two syringes. I understand how the markings work. I'm just worried about the side effects of overdosing. This is my first time medicating my cat, it's very heartbreaking to me to see him foaming and struggling to take his med.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Talk to your vet about your concerns about side effects and the dose that was prescribed for your cat.

The mouth foaming and struggling is unfortunately typical. It's because the medicine tastes super nasty to cats, not because of an overdose or side effect. There is nothing that will mask the taste. The pill form isn't any better.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The mouth foaming and struggling is unfortunately typical. It's because the medicine tastes super nasty to cats, not because of an overdose or side effect. There is nothing that will mask the taste. The pill form isn't any better.
One of my cats struggled for 10 days taking the liquid form recently. I could get it far back in her mouth but due to the foaming and drooling, some of the dose would be lost. Now a second cat has been prescribed the same med, and I asked about the possibility of tablets. The vet explained that because of the cat's weight, 11 lbs, and the dosage, liquid is best due to concerns of possible overdosing and the inability to cut tablets to the proper dose/size. I looked online and saw those tablets in various sizes and mg's. And at a really low cost per tablet. I'm not sure what my question is. It's just that I wonder if I got the real scoop or if this clinic only has liquid so that's what they push. But it's interesting that tablets would be just as nasty.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask your vet if one of these compounded forms of metronidazole could be tried: Metronidazole Medication & Information for Animals The chew treat option can be flavored with various pet-friendly flavors (chicken, cheese, bacon,etc) but I don't know how well any flavoring will mask the yucky taste of the medicine. A capsule or tiny tab could be hidden in a Pill Pocket or something but the medicine taste may still be detectable to a cat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give all my liquid meds mixed in Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, a lickable treat. They absolutely love the treat and take their meds every time. MUCH less hassle!

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give all my liquid meds mixed in Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, a lickable treat. They absolutely love the treat and take their meds every time. MUCH less hassle!
This is worth a try. I'm going to measure out the right amount, mix it and some Gravy Lovers gravy, and then syringe it. Might not work but it won't be worse. Thanks.