Messy Butt

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me again. Our little Blue is doing very well. Her neurological problem of twitching that involves her whole body makes it difficult for her to defecate sometimes without her butt touching the feces. Normally feces is pretty solid but if she bounces on it, some will get on her. And the fact that her mother pushed her away because of her brain damage, she wasn't really taught how to really clean herself. I am looking for the best foam/no rinse shampoo to keep her clean; maybe show her what a really clean butt is? :-) This is not an ongoing problem but happens often enough that I want to find a good solution. She will "scoot" to try to clean it but usually I feel the dried stuff when petting her.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Me again. Our little Blue is doing very well. Her neurological problem of twitching that involves her whole body makes it difficult for her to defecate sometimes without her butt touching the feces. Normally feces is pretty solid but if she bounces on it, some will get on her. And the fact that her mother pushed her away because of her brain damage, she wasn't really taught how to really clean herself. I am looking for the best foam/no rinse shampoo to keep her clean; maybe show her what a really clean butt is? :-) This is not an ongoing problem but happens often enough that I want to find a good solution. She will "scoot" to try to clean it but usually I feel the dried stuff when petting her.
Hi! Is Blue long or short haired?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are you home often enough to catch her when she poops? If so, a warm wet cloth can be used to remove the debris. Doing this right after she poops could also be used as a way for her to recognize the connection between pooping and cleaning herself. Kind of what I would consider a deviated version of when mamas clean their kittens after they poop.

Short of that, I would also only take a warm wet cloth and rest against her bum to loosen the hard debris when you don't catch her otherwise. Once it is loosened it can be gently combed or brushed out - which should also help her to understand a bit about grooming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You guys are always so helpful :cool: iPappy, she is short hair siamese mix barn cat. We found her in our yard, starved, weighed .8 lb, vet said about 5 wks old. She is now a healthy 7.5 lb girl but it definitely shows in her brain damaged way that she had no Mama or sibling contact.
FeebysOwner, I can probably get to her butt soon after a poop because she has zoomies right after. She's all big pupils, bottlebrush tail so I'd have to wait a bit but that's a great idea that I'll try right away.
Thank you folks so much.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Jag! I've also used some hair scissors to just shorten the back of Ghost's bum fur which has helped to lower the instances.

He was 2 weeks post-neuter when he came home, still shaved and no issues...as the hair grew back it became a few times a week we had to wipe his bum but his poos seemed fine. Now that it's trimmed just a little I don't have to wipe his bum. Hope that helps with some prevention too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Alldara! Blue seems to be growing a thicker and darker "winter coat"? I have had to cut some poo matts off & did a little trim back there. As long as her poo is not too soft, all is good. Now that she is back on Blue Buffalo Indoor dry food her poos are more firm. I bought Vets Best Waterless No Rinse Foam shampoo.....my plan is to get her all cleaned up, trim up the fur as best as I can and hope for the best. Poor baby has the "tremors, twitches" and really can't help Not touching her poo. And while she kinda knows how to groom, not so much on her bum. Thank you for your wise advice. :-)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Alldara! Blue seems to be growing a thicker and darker "winter coat"? I have had to cut some poo matts off & did a little trim back there. As long as her poo is not too soft, all is good. Now that she is back on Blue Buffalo Indoor dry food her poos are more firm. I bought Vets Best Waterless No Rinse Foam shampoo.....my plan is to get her all cleaned up, trim up the fur as best as I can and hope for the best. Poor baby has the "tremors, twitches" and really can't help Not touching her poo. And while she kinda knows how to groom, not so much on her bum. Thank you for your wise advice. :-)
Ah sweet girl. That's good that it's getting sorted for her. Ghostie seems to get poos on him even if his poos aren't soft!

Hopefully the trimming goes well for you both!