Meows All Night - Sleeps All Day - Tried Everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsabelleMadeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We have an 18 year old Birman kitty who started meowing a lot during the night a couple of years ago. The vet ruled out health issues (we have gone back several times the last couple of years) and we have scoured the net to find solutions to no avail - we tried to play with her when we got home from work to make her tired, left "cat tv" on during the day, tried Feliway in various forms, tried Rescue remedy, the Thunder shirt, etc.

Ignoring her doesn't help, she just keeps meowing and then sleeps like a log during the day. It doesn't matter if we keep her in the bedroom or out of the bedroom, she does it regardless.

Since we lived in a large apartment before, we finally just started leaving her in the living room at night so that we couldn't hear her (we didn't have to worry about neighbors hearing her since we had thick walls) but about a month ago we moved into a small one bedroom apartment that has an open ceiling between the living room and the bedroom and very thin walls so it's become a huge issue. We are getting no more than a couple of hours sleep at night and we also worry about the neighbors since she's very loud. Don't know what else we can do and would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks so much!

Isabelle

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome!
oh my goodness I'm sorry you're having to deal with this!
--for your own, take a look at Macks ear plugs.

Also, you could look into sound proofing panels, if you type into your search engine; "soundproofing wall panels diy", or even without the "diy" part, there are a lot of options.

Speaking of, somewhat, is she becoming deaf?

What about some of these other calming products that I'll list, also have you tried deliberately waking her up and taking her outside for a walk?

Also maybe something in this article might help;
7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active

As you saw, some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway (Feliway Comfort Zone), but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryptophan and casein.
In addition some people are using CBD oil.

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IsabelleMadeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear FurballsMom,

I am sorry I never responded to you, my kitty ended up passing away not too long after I posted this... :( Thank you for the advise.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless you for coming back. My thoughts are with you, it's so difficult no matter what their age!
RIP sweetheart, your struggles are over and your grace and strength have been returned to you. You and your people will be reunited at The Rainbow Bridge, in joy and love. :rbheart:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just came across this thread now. So sorry about your kitty. 18 years is a long time, but I know that doesn't make it any easier. :alright:

We have a Crossing the Bridge forum if you might want to post a memorial tribute to her.

RIP sweet girl. :angel:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
IsabelleMadeline IsabelleMadeline the team at TCS would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss. She had such a long life and it must be painful, but also such a blessing.

We lock threads when a cat has passed, out of respect.
As rubysmama mentioned, our Crossing the Bridge forum is a good place to go if you would like to leave an enduring testament to your girl.

RIP sweet girl
............................................... .*:bluedragonfly: :bluebutterfly: :rbheart: :bluebutterfly: :bluedragonfly:*

..**

Status
Not open for further replies.