Megacolon - Time To Euthanize?

Jennpen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to comment and bump this thread because it helped me come to terms with a tough choice I’m making.

Tomorrow, a traveling vet will be coming to put down my 13 year old cat named Stella. She’s been with me through so many life changes (a marriage, kids, 2 houses, 1 apartment, a dog) and I’m absolutely devastated about losing her.

Stella has been dealing with chronic constipation for 10 years. I have dealt with her randomly pooping outside the box for that long. We have tried management of our house—keeping her away from rugs and soft things (where she goes poop), and many, MANY medical interventions. In the past 2-3 years, the pooping has become a constant outside the box issue. This is accompanied by lots of puking from the stress. I always said I’d manage it until I couldn’t or until she was miserable more than she’s happy.

We have tried every probiotic, laxative, daily medication, enema, steroid, prescription food, wet food, and injection you can think of. She was diagnosed with IBD on top of her chronic constipation recently and I think that’s what has put her over the edge.

In the last month, she’s pooped and peed on 3 beds. She’s telling us that she’s in pain. But I still feel so incredibly guilty for putting her down because in between the bad, she’s cuddly. She’s back to not grooming herself and her sweet expression has changed. I know it’s time but I’m just miserable thinking about tomorrow.

It’s just good to know I’m not alone. 💔

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site although I am sorry that Stella's condition is what brought you here. You have helped her tremendously to live a happy life despite her condition and are doing the hardest thing possible in order to insure that she does not suffer. You are welcome to post her story in the Crossing the Bridge forum if you would like.

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is an old post but I wanted to comment and say that after reading through this twice it made considering putting my baby out of his misery a tad easier. It was nice to read a post where people shared their experiences and didn't judge (for the most part). I had been searching high and low for methods that would work for my babe of 16 years. He had arthritis, CKD stage 2, a heart murmur, was on food to control crystals after he got blocked years ago, and more recently was diagnosed with megacolon. I worked with the vet and we tried all we could. Yesterday he pooped while laying in a chair without moving or doing anything about it. I had asked him for a sign. He gave it to me. I put him to sleep tonight. I'm gutted. Severely. He was my soul kitty, but I knew it was the right choice, the vet confirmed - it wasn't easy though. I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for helping me feel just a tiny bit better about an obvious decision. With love.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
at times like these. it helps to rely on the vet's expertise and what they have seen over the years. They have witnessed a lot. You could not let your precious boy suffer. Though it's been a year, I know how your emotions can suddenly and completely take over, it hurts so bad........it will be ten years for me, and I still tear up when I think of that last day. but it is not soul-shattering like it was.........please know I'll say a prayer for you and Mozart and Maggie......

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is this Bert, about whom you have posted previously? If not, I am sorry for the confusion but want to extend my deepest sympathy to you on your loss. I firmly believe that there is a time at which the cat cannot fight any longer, even with top notch care, and that is the time to let them go peacefully.

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this Bert, about whom you have posted previously? If not, I am sorry for the confusion but want to extend my deepest sympathy to you on your loss. I firmly believe that there is a time at which the cat cannot fight any longer, even with top notch care, and that is the time to let them go peacefully.
Hi. Yes this is Bert from the recent posts about constipation and food and things. Thank you for your sympathy. I won't lie. It's been hard.