Medication and the dying process

Mel0218

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My tiny is actively dying of her kidney disease- not eating, hunched, loud low vocalization, doesn't want cuddled. I have a euthanasia appointment tomorrow to end her suffering. She takes transdermal benazepril in her ear nightly. Will giving her normal dose make her feel worse (lower bp- dizzy, nauseous) or possibly help her let go prior to the appointment naturally?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mel0218

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P.s. she is 16, I don't know why it flagged as kitten

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think we can answer this question for you. What normally happens when you dose this? Does it seem to effect her in any way? If it effects her adversely, and you plan on letting her go tomorrow, then I would simply skip the dose. BUT, if it doesn't have any negative effects on her, then I wouldn't skip it. It might be doing good things that skipping it might negate, like cause a stoke or something. I get the feeling that you would rather she pass on her own at home, but I don't think you would want her to have a stroke or be in any sort of pain.

I'm so sorry you and she are going through this. I've had three kidney cats and know what you are going through :alright: . But I promised each one of them that when they let me know they were done, I would let them go. And I did even though it broke my heart each time :sniffle:

AMITHIS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so sorry you are going through this. I have it looming ahead very soon as my 11 year old cat was diagnosed with aggressive oral cancer on Sunday and is going downhill quickly. As Mrsgreenjeans said above, if it typically doesn’t cause her any negative effects then I think I would just go ahead and apply it as usual.