Mating Position, Or Am I Overreacting?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Selene is newly spayed, and is too young to have ever displayed sexual behavior. Charlie was neutered in October 2016, and never displayed sexual behavior before that. Today, in the span of a few minutes, he bit her neck and mounted her twice. I've read enough cat books to recognize that position.

They immediately went back to playing, but I admit to being disturbed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a while, even a couple of months for the hormones present in the body to leave, Charlie may be still smelling them on her. It is also a dominance thing. She will stand up for herself after she gets a little older and not let him do that. Make sure she can escape his advances with a place high up that she can defend. If he doesn't hurt her, and they go back to playing or interacting immediately after, it is OK and will stop eventually. I, myself would tell him NO and remove him from her presence, or distract him with a treat, toy, or food.If it continues, you might have the vet check to make sure Charlie doesn't have some hormones still somehow being made, it had has happened, can you tell if his testicles have been completely removed, or was he just 'snipped'?. Females usually eventually turn into little divas, she won't let him get that personal when she gets out of kittenhood. My tiny little female has all the big boys scared of her, and they are her grown sons. All the luck!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buster would occasionally do this. The vet assured me it was just a dominance thing. Buster didn't care if it was male or female. He just wanted to show them who's boss. If they stood up to him, he stopped. Buster was very small and Keith is very large. One day I saw him trying to mount Keith. Keith was completely ignoring him and because of the size difference, it looked like Keith had a little stuffed toy on his back!:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a while, even a couple of months for the hormones present in the body to leave, Charlie may be still smelling them on her. It is also a dominance thing. She will stand up for herself after she gets a little older and not let him do that. Make sure she can escape his advances with a place high up that she can defend. If he doesn't hurt her, and they go back to playing or interacting immediately after, it is OK and will stop eventually. I, myself would tell him NO and remove him from her presence, or distract him with a treat, toy, or food.If it continues, you might have the vet check to make sure Charlie doesn't have some hormones still somehow being made, it had has happened, can you tell if his testicles have been completely removed, or was he just 'snipped'?. Females usually eventually turn into little divas, she won't let him get that personal when she gets out of kittenhood. My tiny little female has all the big boys scared of her, and they are her grown sons. All the luck!
I'm positive the vet removed everything. I'm not even sure his hormones had even kicked in yet because there were no signs of tomcat behavior. I hope it's just a dominance thing. Selene did manage to wiggle her way out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is just a play/dominance thing. She'll let him know if she doesn't like it! I don't worry about it unless she's fighting him and he doesn't let her go. It's normal cat interaction.