Mastitis and continued nursing

Stewisonfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a queen who is (guessing) less than one year old who just had a litter of 5 on June 30th. I took her and her kittens to a vet yesterday and she has an eye infection, was constipated and has mastitis. They told me I should wean the kittens and bottle feed. They didn’t mention anything about clearing her nipples of infection. They said that them continuing to nurse could make the problem wors From what I’ve read online it sounds like queens can continue to nurse unless it’s bad. And that it’s good for the mother and kittens. She’s had 3 doses of antibiotics so far. I am trying to syringe feed the kittens, but they’re use to mom and this is my first time doing this so it’s not going well so far. I would just like some other opinions/advice. The nipples that don’t have mastitis don’t seem to have milk, but I am not sure if I know how to really tell.
Also the kittens eyes were crusty and at least one of them had pus coming out, but the vet seemed to think they were fine and said I could give them the antibiotic ointment only once their eyes opened if I felt the need to. The kitten with the worst eye that had the pus on it has one eye open now, but not the bad one.
If she cannot nurse at all from here on should I try to wrap her stomach so she can still be with her kittens?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Are you gently wiping the kittens eyes with a damp warm soft cloth several times daily? That is necessary and will help save their eyes.

Also the antibiotic can get through the mamas system into the kittens through the milk.

This website has good information regarding how to feed, etc;

Kitten Care - Home — Kitten Lady

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What antibiotic is mom on? She should begin to feel better around the third day. The little antibiotic the kittens get through her milk will not hurt them.

You should put warm, damp compresses on mom’s mammary glands for a few minutes in between nursing, and apply coconut oil to soothe. It’s non-toxic to the kittens.

What did the vet prescribe for mom’s eye infection? If terramycin, it can also be smeared across the kittens’ eyes whether open or not. Do wipe their eyes often with a warm, damp cloth to clear pus and crust before using the terramycin. The eyes will open soon but do not force. If you were not given terramycin, please get a tube from the vet ASAP.

If mom is constipated, make sure she is getting plenty of wet food and a couple of bowls a day of powdered kitten formula mixed with water or unflavored pedialyte. She also needs the extra calcium from the formula for nursing.

If you must hand-feed the kittens for a couple of days, use a syringe and follow this video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

It’s best they nurse from mom unless her mastitis is too painful.

Please weigh the kittens daily in grams on a digital kitchen scale. Please supplement any kittens with formula who are not gaining at least 6-10 grams per day, or who are losing weight.

Any questions, please ask in this same thread. Kittens need to nurse or be syringe fed every 2 hours around the clock right now.

Please keep us updated and plan to spay mom in about 8 weeks.

S Stewisonfire

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stewisonfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s on amoxicillin. The eye medicine is neomycin and polymyxin b. Half of their eyes are open now and looking better, so I’m less worried about that.
They gave me laxatives and she has passed stool. As I understand it I should keep on giving that to her until her stool gets soft? I have also been giving her KMR and plenty of wet kitten food. She prefers the wet food that isn’t for kittens, but I read that it’s better.
I have syringe fed the kittens now 5 times. I let the mom nurse overnight, but I am worried it is slowing healing/making it worse. Am I wrong to think that? It is what the vet said what would happen, but there is so much I’ve read that contradicts what she told me I have to question it. Also I felt she was jumping the gun suggesting I should bottle feed them for the next 3 weeks until weaning them, which is really why I’m asking here in the first place. All here would prefer if mama can keep nursing them (especially mama!) If she’s in pain it’s hard to tell-she’s been such a trooper. All but one kitten gained over 10 grams in the past day. One only 5, so keeping an eye on him.
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Also she is a stray I took in at the end of May and was trying to rehome. I kept her inside immediately since I assumed she hadn’t been fixed. Turned out to be a month pregnant already when I got her. I am absolutely getting her spayed.

Attachments

Stewisonfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her constipation has resolved. I am going to try to get more pictures of her nipples today. They don’t look bad to me and I have been letting her nurse.

Stewisonfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I put the medicine in her eye it looks bad for about until the next dose and then looks bad again as soon as I reapply. It says to put the ointment in twice a day, but not for how long.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If mom’s eyes are clear you can probably hold off on the drops for now. It’s usually 3-5 days. Use your judgement. Are you oiling mom’s nipples with coconut oil? It will help. Otherwise, it sounds like things are improving and kittens are doing well.