Mama cat

cmclarke29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a baby six weeks ago but lately she has been very vocal and constantly moving her kitten around. She never stops meowing and keeps running outside. I'm worried she is hurting her baby because the kitten starts screaming when my cat tries to move her. On top of that my cat seems restless. I'm not sure what is going on, anyone have any ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmclarke29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok that does not help me. I've already began weaning the kitten. The mother is my concern, I know she needs to be spayed but right now I'm concerned about her behavior.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
The behavior you are seeing could be caused by her not being spayed…stressful, I know— you’ve got a lot on your plate, but cat moms can get pregnant again fast! :rolleyes:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a good chance when she's outside she's calling male cats to her. She may think they will want to see the baby, or she may just feel she has to keep the baby with her. If the males come the baby will be at risk from their fights.

Your Mom cat may already be pregnant again from one of her trips outside. She certainly sounds as though she is in heat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom is likely in heat, so scheduling a spay would be your next step. She’ll still be able to nurse, but her hormones will calm down.

Mom cats get nervous when their babies begin to explore. It’s normal. Please do not let mom or baby outside anymore.

It’s excellent that the kitten is learning to eat soft food now!