Mama Cat

JenniferRoze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my mama cat had a kitten on the 23rd of February. I felt more moving but she did not have them. On the 26th of February she had two more kitten's and they were both stillborned. I am worried now because she seems sad, and keeps laying in the cat pan. I don't know how to help her. Can cats get depressed after having two still born kitten's even though she had the one that is alive and well? Can she lose interest in the kitten that is alive? If anyone can help i would appreciate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JenniferRoze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try. Have to wait till Friday for payday. I'm worried about her. She is now taking care of the live kitten but she don't seem herself. Also, when I pet her she is shaking or shivering. I hope she makes it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can’t wait. Call vets and see if anyone will take a check dated for Friday, or work with you on a payment plan.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. She may mourn, but its verry probable she is ill in some way. Vet check up asap is necessary. During the time, give her comfort, warmth, nourishing food, containing also calcium.

And be prepared to take care of the kitten. If she is sick, she prob cant care nor feed about the kitten.

Please report!

Good luck J JenniferRoze

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agree she sounds ill. I've seen mourning in mom cats manifest more so as restlessness and loud meowing, although they can all show grief differently. The shivering is not normal either. Because she had the kittens three days apart, with the last two being stillborn, I'd be worried there could be another kitten stuck in there causing an infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JenniferRoze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took her to the vet and she is going to be just fine. The baby is good and growing. She is a bit depressed but they told me that is normal for mama cats like her. The shaking was just her body getting over having kitten's and she stopped. She is now laying with her baby girl we named Dawn and they are both doing amazing. Thanks for all the help.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a picture of momma and baby? Glad to hear all is well!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give your mama kitty some calcium. It helps with shaking. For this, you can give a little cream, or some plain yogurt, or pieces of cheese. The calcium will help her while she nurses too.