Mama Cat With Distended Belly

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's little colony of five cats (mama + 4 babies) is doing well. However, mama cat's stomach has been distended for a bit. She was spayed a while back (March-ish) with one of the "keyhole" spays, so she isn't pregnant. She eats/plays/etc. all normally, and her stomach feels kind of hard but not painful when she lets me touch her. Could it possibly be worms? Mom is not in good shape to take her to the vet at the moment, so if we could just slip her a dewormer or something that would otherwise be benign, that would be great. Alternately, are some cats just...distended/rounder than other cats? All kittens are very streamline.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really would try to get her to the vet. You certainly could try a dewormer on her and see if that helps. Is there a way you can take her to the vet. It's really the only way you will know for sure. If you wait too long it also might cause further complications.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the good news is that when I fed them this morning (really the only time mama cat will be affectionate towards me and let me love on her) her tummy felt better. Maybe I was finding her after a meal or something?

I told mom about it, but they are being stretched pretty far between house stuff and taking care of their inside cat (thyroid issues). She also just took mama cat to the vet because she had mouth lesions the she needed an antibiotic for. I'll see how she does in a week and may get her a dewormer.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since she has recently been to the vet you may be able to just call and ask for a dewormer. It's normal to deworm cats once or twice a year.