Mama Cat Sprayed By Skunk

Kittykitty03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
**I already have a plan with my vet to get this cat fixed- so please do not comment about that.
My cat had kittens yesterday. Around 2:00 this morning something woke me up and then I smelled a horrible smell. I went outside and couldn’t find the mama cat. Finally, I saw her rolling around erratically in the grass-not normal.
Long story short, she appears to have been sprayed full on. The front of her is wet and yellow, her eyes seemed irritated, etc. I tried pouring water on her face to help flush it-but she would run away from it. She finally seemed to be doing a little bit better and laid back down. Then she heard her kittens and crawled back in the box with them. They seemed to all be doing great yesterday (after she had them) but now I worry with her being wet from the skunk spray and it’s SOO strong- will this kill be kittens? If they are that close to the smell? Or try to nurse and, in turn, get a mouthful of the spray?? The mama is not interested in me pouring anything on her and has now hunkered down in the box with the babies. What do I do??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I googled, its mest about dogs. Still may be useful.

What to Do When Your Dog Gets Sprayed by a Skunk

Beware though of peroxide - I dont dare to recommend it. But baking soda and liquid dishwasing as Dawn, should be harmless...

You will probably need to change all the bedclothes too, and probably bathe the kittens too. Be sure they dont get chilled out, not during the washing nor afterwards.

K Kittykitty03

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs a bath with Dawn dish soap. Then dry her with a bath towel warm from the dryer. Poor thing.

Can you bring the mom and babies inside? It does not sound safe outside. Mom got sprayed trying to defend her kittens from the skunk, who may have wanted her cat food.